• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Like what? Bear in mind, Valve makes profit on the first unit sold, while the dev doesn't see any profit on a $5M budget game until it sells over $7M.

I'm in the US. The transaction fee is about 2% on the credit card. I'm aware that most transactions in Asia may cost a lot more. I thought their 20% cut was after the first $50M? That royalty change btw came within days of EGS launching with their 12%, which suggests it was a direct response.

The original royalty change came before Epic announced EGS though.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The original royalty change came before Epic announced EGS though.
4 days before. I am sure that as well connected as Valve are to the development community, and the amount of developers that had been speaking to Epic for months, and Tim complaining since 2017 about high royalty rates, they knew what the plan was. It's very hard to believe they made their first ever royalty change in 14 years within days of a competitor offering a much lower rate, and it being sheer coincidence.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Like what? Bear in mind, Valve makes profit on the first unit sold, while the dev doesn't see any profit on a $5M budget game until it sells over $7M.

I'm in the US. The transaction fee is about 2% on the credit card. I'm aware that most transactions in Asia may cost a lot more. I thought their 20% cut was after the first $50M? That royalty change btw came within days of EGS launching with their 12%, which suggests it was a direct response.

Valve operates their own network as far as i know and they are not using AWS servers or Azure or something else. They also don't charge customers or developers for any transaction fees (except in one case where they charge customers in South America for one payment method), they support a lot of payment methods with various fees, they support in store wallet cards, they get 0 money from any sales outside of Steam (for example DMC5 has like 40% reviews from non-steam purchases), they provide tons of backend support (API, data...), and they are working a lot to attract customers to the store with various features. If we take Sweeneys words that 8% could cover hosting and standard fees then 4% is not enough to support rest. Something would have to go.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Back when Steam started selling games in 2003 and 2004, 30% was reasonable because that was a better cut than what publishers were getting selling games in physical shops.

15 years later, things are a lot different. There are no longer distribution and other wholesaler costs involved. Should they revisit the split? I think so, especially for indie games.

Honestly, I think it should be more in line with the fees when you sell items on Etsy, which are around 10%. Most of the arguments that can be made to justify Steam's cut are things that Etsy does as well, in terms of community engagement and marketing on their platform.

There's no question that Steam provides value. I personally believe that comparing it to other gaming storefronts is somewhat futile. I find it much better to compare it to large shopping platforms in non-gaming spaces, and when you do that, you can see that Steam is taking way more than they really should be.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Valve operates their own network as far as i know and they are not using AWS servers or Azure or something else. They also don't charge customers or developers for any transaction fees (except in one case where they charge customers in South America for one payment method), they support a lot of payment methods with various fees, they support in store wallet cards, they get 0 money from any sales outside of Steam (for example DMC5 has like 40% reviews from non-steam purchases), they provide tons of backend support (API, data...), and they are working a lot to attract customers to the store with various features. If we take Sweeneys words that 8% could cover hosting and standard fees then 4% is not enough to support rest. Something would have to go.
IMO 12% is on the low side, if factoring in higher costs from transactions in Asia, and 30% is on the high side. 20% on all sales is probably a good middle ground. Maybe they should also adjust the royalty rate based on the average transaction fee in that region, so that a dev makes more selling to me with a 2% credit card fee in the US than someone spending the same amount in China, while currently Valve gets all the benefits of my lower fees.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
4 days before. I am sure that as well connected as Valve are to the development community, and the amount of developers that had been speaking to Epic for months, and Tim complaining since 2017 about high royalty rates, they knew what the plan was. It's very hard to believe they made their first ever royalty change in 14 years within days of a competitor offering a much lower rate, and it being sheer coincidence.
I would wager Steam doing cut drops to be more about bigger publishers leaving etc. and so on, instead of trying to paint it that Sweeney did something.

I bet the majority of the people asking for a bigger cut are indie devs.
And I would assume majority of those indie devs are those who do yet another 8/16bit platformer, or rpg, or metroidvania clone in a sea of clones.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'ma just leave this here
unknown.png

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
And I would assume majority of those indie devs are those who do yet another 8/16bit platformer, or rpg, or metroidvania clone in a sea of clones.

The quality of the game should have no bearing on the amount of fees they have to pay per copy sold.

It shouldn't matter if they sell two copies or two million copies.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I would wager Steam doing cut drops to be more about bigger publishers leaving etc. and so on, instead of trying to paint it that Sweeney did something.

You know I just hate going through the anime , rpg , etc list and seeing all the rpg maker clones 😠

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Worth noting is that gift cards cost about 10-15% to run (since the physical store selling you the card also has to get a cut), which mean Valve can't cut their cut much below 20%-ish without removing gift cards (which would severely damage the PC gaming as a whole in a fairly large range of countries).

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The quality of the game should have no bearing on the amount of fees they have to pay per copy sold.

It shouldn't matter if they sell two copies or two million copies.
That is true, but it's more about devs like that perhaps don't have the full picture what goes around with that 30% cut etc. But still, pity that we don't have full info what kind of devs did answer that poll.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bear in mind these Top Selling lists are not universal, here's mine for example:

list.png

As much as I'd love to see Disco Elysium at #4 top seller on Steam, the Global Top Sellers puts it at #21.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Bear in mind these Top Selling lists are not universal, here's mine for example:

list.png

As much as I'd love to see Disco Elysium at #4 top seller on Steam, the Global Top Sellers puts it at #21.
Breh, even here Plague Inc. is outselling RDR2, unless this list is affected by Steam Labs?

...but yeah Globally, RDR2 is above Plague Inc., but the fact that plague inc. is being in the top sellers recently is still rather funny.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Worth noting is that gift cards cost about 10-15% to run (since the physical store selling you the card also has to get a cut), which mean Valve can't cut their cut much below 20%-ish without removing gift cards (which would severely damage the PC gaming as a whole in a fairly large range of countries).
That all depends how much of their revenue is from that source. They could also adjust the revenue split per region. Give the dev more of the split in regions where transaction costs are small, and less of the split in regions where transaction costs are high.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
...but yeah Globally, RDR2 is above Plague Inc., but the fact that plague inc. is being in the top sellers recently is still rather funny.

I mean RDR2 isn't even in the Top Sellers I see, so if I'm trying to leap to its defence I've done a pretty bad job of it.

And Plague Inc. is a great game, at least it was when it was called Pandemic 2 and was a free flash game. I haven't actually played Plague Inc. itself.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Temtem is doing so well, well deserved.

Also lol @ Valve getting 30% being too much, but not when Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, whomever else do it.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019

Also lol @ Valve getting 30% being too much, but not when Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, whomever else do it.

Could it be argued that Valve set that 30% standard?

I legit don't know, but I suspect they were one if, if not the, first major digital storefront of the early 2000s.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Maybe it is? Btw 30% isn't the console cut when you factor in that half of game sales on console are still physical, which carry much lower royalty rates for the console platform, around 16% or so I think. And yes, they do have R&D and production costs for the consoles also.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is? Btw 30% isn't the console cut when you factor in that half of game sales on console are still physical, which carry much lower royalty rates for the console platform, around 16% or so I think. And yes, they do have R&D and production costs for the consoles also.
It's still hypocrisy when folks are fine with those seeking 30% but not Valve.

Not that I care all too much, I don't see a penny of it 😭

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Isnt that the other way around? 30% + creation of physical discs?

I honestly dont know. Just found that:

www.ign.com

Report: Steam's 30% Cut Is Actually the Industry Standard - IGN

A breakdown of how much every major retailer takes from the sale of a game.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Devs get 100% of generated keys, and it's been empirically suggested that the actual Valve cut is 20% when factoring that

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I'd wager the tweaks to the cut had nothing to do with Epic and everything with enticing larger publishers to continue releasing games on Steam instead of doubling down on their own platforms. 75/25 doesn't kick in until your game has generated $10m in revenue; that's a number literally 99% of indies are never going to hit.

I agree 70/30 as a base is too high, however, and fully expect Valve to eventually acquiesce, especially considering all of the dev roundtables it held last year. There's a sweet spot between that and 88/12 that gives indie devs a higher cut without compromising the operational integrity of the platform, and it's probably whatever CDPR settled on for GOG.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Blame the music industry for starting it all
Which is funny because we're leaning towards adopting stream time/plays for paying devs on some potential services so half of a penny is cool

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wager the tweaks to the cut had nothing to do with Epic and everything with enticing larger publishers to continue releasing games on Steam instead of doubling down on their own platforms. 75/25 doesn't kick in until your game has generated $10m in revenue; that's a number literally 99% of indies are never going to hit.

I agree 70/30 as a base is too high, however, and fully expect Valve to eventually acquiesce, especially considering all of the dev roundtables it held last year. There's a sweet spot between that and 88/12 that gives indie devs a higher cut without compromising the operational integrity of the platform, and it's probably whatever CDPR settled on for GOG.
GOG is still using 30% as of their last revenue report as I have been telling you :P

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
GOG is still using 30% as of their last revenue report as I have been telling you :P

Ah, sorry, you must've posted that when I wasn't getting notifications. The figures you reference are actually for 2018, but the latest data (Q3 2019) paints the same picture. CDPR explicitly said the cut was changing, though:

In the past, we were able to cover [the Fair Price Program] from our cut and still turn a small profit. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore. With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller. However, we look at it, at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.

I assumed the new cut came into play on April 1st as the FPP ended on March 31st, but maybe it was earmarked for the new financial year. I doubt CDPR lied about it just to justify killing off the FPP; surely we would've heard something to that effect by now.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, sorry, you must've posted that when I wasn't getting notifications. The data you reference is for 2018, but the latest data (Q3 2019) paints the same picture. CDPR explicitly said the cut was changing, though:

I assumed the new cut came into play on April 1st as the FPP ended on March 31st, but maybe it earmarked for the new financial year. I doubt CDPR lied about it just to justify killing off the FPP; surely we would've heard something to that effect by now.
No worries, I was just making a bit of fun.

Oh yeah, I think I used the 2019 numbers the first time but couldnt find them the second. On hearing about it, we havent heard about GOG decreasing its cut, which would be a great PR victory from them.
Edit: the numbers of the last quarter show ca. 28.2% cut while on the last 3 quarters is 28.9%, it might have decreased to 27% or so?
The cut from 2018 is still 30.8%, so it could still be something weird in their roundings, as I dont think they had a higher cut to begin with.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was desperation because all the major publishers were threatening to walk away, not a response to any competition from Epic or whatever.

And you can't compare physical and digital. There are just too many differences to make it meaningful.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I suspect the issue of Steam's cut will be hashed out by the big publishers and will trickle down to indies.

Who didn't know in their hearts, that when the likes of EA struck out on their own, it was only a matter of time before they'd come back to Steam? Turns out running your own storefront/launcher combo is a much bigger hassle than they personally wanted to take on and maintain. It's not that they can't do it, it's that the nature of these big corps is not compatible with the effort required to gain the small profit they get from maintaining their own storefront. Everyone knew this, but anyone that's worked for a megacorp knows how these things go. Some department gets an idea that the company could "save so much money" and whips together a powerpoint and away it goes.

The only ones that survive in Steam's shadow are ones that have a particular niche, like GOG. DRM has always been a sore point for PC gamers and there will always be a significant minority that want DRM free games. So that was a good move and I think GOG will live on.

I just don't see the value add for the other ones. The biggest issue is that PC gamers have been down this road before, and it hasn't been a positive experience for them. People are rightly skeptical of yet another storefront, yet another launcher, yet another piece of superfluous software that is just going to make your experience so much better! How many times has Microsoft relaunched/rebranded Games for Windows Live and it's still a turgid piece of crap?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Third-party sales are "goods and materials", so (21,189/30,580) x 100 = 69.29%.
Oh, I was using the entire revenue. Any idea what the products and services are then?
If so using the "goods and materials": Q3 2019: 30.7%
Q1-Q3 2019: 30.18%
Q1-Q3 2018: 29.35%

So all are within a margin of error.

Edit: Sales of products and services is GOGs cut on Gwent and Thronebreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.