• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Final Fantasy world would you like to see return? (2 votes allowed)

• "World of Balance" - Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • "Earth" - Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Gaia - Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 54 23.5%
  • Spira - Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2

Votes: 62 27.0%
  • Vana'diel - Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • Eos - Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Not Ivalice - FFXII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Revenant Wings, FFXIV...

Votes: 59 25.7%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not completely new btw. They used this artwork for an recruitment event in july.

Full hi-res version:
jumbotron01.jpg
hot damn

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
Hope that is the settings for 16...the shape with the little dragon in the left corner seems a dragoon (ff11 alike) :0

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So if i am not wrong, this is what the list of mid-to-high budget SE releases in the coming years is going to be:

For current gen:
FFVIIRe 1
Avengers
Babylon's Fall?
FFXIV expansions?
Ni3R?
DQXII (assuming it comes in 2021 they won't skip japanese PS4 users)?

For next gen:
At least two more FFVIIRe episodes?
Yoshi-P totally not FFXVI
Luminous new IP (online/GaaS?)
DQXII (assuming it comes in 2022)?
Next Kingdom Hearts
New Action IP

This is already a solid 6-7 titles that could carry through most of next gen already, if you also count Western titles, more unexpexted experimental titles (think of Automata or Left Alive) and Switch games (which i have not included because i was thinking of PS5/Scarlett games) seems like Square Enix is already mostly set for the next generation.
If the releases are also mostly good then we can easily say it's going to be the strongest gen for SE in a long time (considering that the PS3/360 era was full of missteps and the PS4/XBO one was half repeating the errors and half trying to correct them).

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So if i am not wrong, this is what the list of mid-to-high budget SE releases in the coming years is going to be:

For current gen:
FFVIIRe 1
Avengers
FFXIV expansions?
Ni3R?

For next gen:
Next Kingdom Hearts
New Action IP

This is already a solid 6-7 titles that could carry through most of next gen already, if you also count Western titles, more unexpexted experimental titles (think of Automata or Left Alive) and Switch games (which i have not included because i was thinking of PS5/Scarlett games) seems like Square Enix is already mostly set for the next generation.
If the releases are also mostly good then we can easily say it's going to be the strongest gen for SE in a long time (considering that the PS3/360 era was full of missteps and the PS4/XBO one was half repeating the errors and half trying to correct them).

Yes, on paper they're in great shape.

Going into this gen they had to remake XIV, Transition from Versus>XV and change it from a Nomura game to a Tabata game, all while building a new engine, had to switch to UE4 mid KH3 development, Alot of teams/franchises had to make their first HD game which is always hard and time consuming.

Now it looks like we have SE won't have to build anymore new engines, all of their devs have HD development experience, alot of their franchises have HD assets that can be reused to reduce development time, Foundation of FF7R is built and we should be able to get a couple of high quality sequels in a more reasonable amount of time.

XVI is really the only wild card where we have no idea how it's going to play out.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Knowing that the 10 old divisions got condensed to only 3, it's safe to assume that it's a completely different team that is developing this new game.
I thought it was 4 Development Divisions now from the previous 11 Business Divisions?

First DD: FF, KH, SaGa, Mana
Second DD: DQ, Nier, Star Ocean, Bravely
Third DD: FFXIV
Fourth DD: mobile and browser

... plus Luminous Studio, Tokyo RPG Factory, Extreme Edges and Taito.

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at the vote results up there and how the majority voted for 2021+ makes you realize how the gaming community are so pessimistic and negative. ( I realized that YEARS ago but for the new ones that are realizing now lol ).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the vote results up there and how the majority voted for 2021+ makes you realize how the gaming community are so pessimistic and negative. ( I realized that YEARS ago but for the new ones that are realizing now lol ).

I have alot of faith in SE and UE4 and i voted 2021 because they kicked CC2 off the project mid development and switched it to a development team that was mobile sized, then admitted to their shareholders that they were struggling to find enough HD developers.

The fact that this game is coming out early 2020 and looks as good as it does is kind of miraculous, Kitase and crew deserve massive props for this and i don't think even our best fans truly appreciate how impressive of a task this was.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

For current gen:
FFVIIRe 1
Avengers
FFXIV expansions?
Ni3R?

For next gen:
Next Kingdom Hearts
New Action IP

I bet DQXII is a Switch game.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Its definitely not a new trend by any means. The sentiment on VIIR literally took a 180 over the last 6 months, before that VIIR threads were just shitposting and drive-by center.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I thought it was 4 Development Divisions now from the previous 11 Business Divisions?

First DD: FF, KH, SaGa, Mana
Second DD: DQ, Nier, Star Ocean, Bravely
Third DD: FFXIV
Fourth DD: mobile and browser

... plus Luminous Studio, Tokyo RPG Factory, Extreme Edges and Taito.
Correct! I don't know why I said 3 and 10.
Creative Business Unit I: Yoshinori Kitase
Creative Business Unit II: Yu Miyake
Creative Business Unit III: Naoki Yoshida
Creative Business Unit IV: Hirokazu Nishikado
I guess the OP really needs updating.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not really news but they're holding a hiring event with Creek and River (the Silicon Studios offshoot)

Oct 26, 2017
With the rumors of TWEWY2 and the suggestion of a KH spinoff in the future, is there understanding of what studios/resources Nomura is utilizing outside of FF7R right now? Like, could "TWEWY2" and KH3.3: Foretold Death Game Versus be the same thing or are there enough resources to do both?

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Twewy 2 would probably farmed out to h.a.n.d or Jupiter since they've worked out the various versions of the first game and have a history of working with him on KH spin-offs.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Square Enix is building on its AI technology with the launch of Square Enix AI & Arts Alchemy.

Logo.jpg
Thanks!
Now that we have a clearer idea of how the units have been restructured (thanks, Wikipedia!) the OT will soon be updated to reflect the changes.

Creative Business Unit I is headed by Yoshinori Kitase who was the head of Business Division 1 and has his department mainly focused on Final Fantasy mainline single player titles and spin-offs and the Kingdom Hearts series. The department has the previous Business Division 1 (Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Mobius Final Fantasy), Business Division 3 (Kingdom Hearts series, Final Fantasy spin-offs such as World of Final Fantasy, and the SaGa series) and Business Division 4 which produced (Dissidia Final Fantasy, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Record Keeper) with external development companies.

Creative Business Unit II is headed by Yuu Miyake who was the head of Business Division 6, and has his department mainly focuses on Dragon Quest, Nier and Bravely series, along a part focused on arcade. It's centered around the previous Business Division 6 (Dragon Quest series, Nierseries), Business Division 7 (Lord of Vermilion, Gunslinger Stratos) and Business Division 11 (Bravely series, Octopath Traveler)

Creative Business Unit III is headed by Naoki Yoshida, who was the head of Business Division 5, with a department that mainly focus on MMORPGFinal Fantasy games. It includes the previous Business Division 5 (Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Dragon Quest Builders series).

Creative Business Unit IV is headed by Hirokazu Nishikado and it focus mainly on the Mana series, along remasters, ports and mobile games. It includes the previous Business Division 8 (Manaseries, general remasters and ports of different franchises), Business Division 9 (Schoolgirl Strikers, Grimms Notes) and Business Division 10 (Million Arthur).

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks!
Now that we have a clearer idea of how the units have been restructured (thanks, Wikipedia!) the OT will soon be updated to reflect the changes.

So, their current (known) plans are something like this?

CBU I: Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2, New Kingdom Hearts Project, New KH Mobile Spin-off, New HD Action IP
CBU II: Ni3R, DQXII, DQ: The Adventure of Dai Infinity Strash, Erik&Sister DQ title, Bravely Default 2, Octopath Traveller 2
CBU III: FFXIV, FFXVI
CBU IV: ??? New Mana?
Luminous Studio: New AAA IP
Tokyo RPG Factory: New IP?
Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal: Avengers
External collaborations: Outriders (People Can Fly), NieR 1.5, Babylon Fall (PlatinumGames)

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

CBU I: Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2, New Kingdom Hearts Project, New KH Mobile Spin-off
CBU II: Ni3R, DQXII, DQ Dai, DQ Monsters 3, Bravely Default 2
You can add Octopath 2 as they confirmed the sequel was in development a year ago.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

CBU I: Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2, New Kingdom Hearts Project, New KH Mobile Spin-off
CBU II: Ni3R, DQXII, DQ Dai, DQ Monsters 3, Bravely Default 2
You can add Octopath 2 as they confirmed the sequel was in development a year ago.
Sounds about right.
I've also recently been reminded of this:

So you can also add it to CBU1.
I'd love for a WoFF2 to also be somewhere up there.

Oh and the new Luminous game as well.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not optimistic about WoFF2, i think if they were interested they'd have shipped the game a year or two ago. Maxima seemed like it was gauging interest for a sequel.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds about right.
I've also recently been reminded of this:

So you can also add it to CBU1.
I'd love for a WoFF2 to also be somewhere up there.

Oh and the new Luminous game as well.

Added the ones you suggested as well as that DQ with Erik and his sister,
I assume Tokyo RPG Factory must also been working on something since Oninaki released last year.
Western Branches should be updated with PCF's Outriders, other than that I don't think there's any new stuff?
And the only other noticeable JP collaboration outside of Babylon Fall is NieR 1.5.

Anyway, Square Enix has so many potential quality titles in the works it's kind of impressive.
I watch that list and I think that many will be highly acclaimed, and most will be at the very least well received.
If they can push all of these, I think next-gen SE could easily match it's PS2 era.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Added the ones you suggested as well as that DQ with Erik and his sister,
I assume Tokyo RPG Factory must also been working on something since Oninaki released last year.
Western Branches should be updated with PCF's Outriders, other than that I don't think there's any new stuff?
And the only other noticeable JP collaboration outside of Babylon Fall is NieR 1.5.

Anyway, Square Enix has so many potential quality titles in the works it's kind of impressive.
I watch that list and I think that many will be highly acclaimed, and most will be at the very least well received.
If they can push all of these, I think next-gen SE could easily match it's PS2 era.
Oh the OT needs a lot of work indeed. Released games need archiving, Outriders is missing as well as the unknown game with Deck Nine and finally Studio Istolia should be removed completely.

And I agree, everything is super promising and we potentially have more to look forward to in the coming days.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, looks like the HD remaster for Switch sold well enough to warrant a sequel.
From everything we saw, it actually sold pretty badly. I think if anything happens, it's more because they've been wanting to do it for years / assumed it didn't perform well because it was the third time releasing it / they had already started development before release.

Probably all three.

Archiving - Closure of Studio Istolia
Archiving - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Archiving - Mobius Final Fantasy x Final Fantasy VIII Cross-Over
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Archiving - Dragon Quest Builders II
Archiving - Million Arthur: Arcana Blood
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Archiving - Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
Archiving - Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
Archiving - Life Is Strange 2
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Archiving

Life Is Strange 2
OAPL3Vf.png

Directors: Michel Koch, Raoul Barbet
Platform(s):
PS4, PC, XB1
Genre: Graphic Adventure
Release Dates:
- Episode 1: September 27, 2018 (released)
- Episode 2: January 24, 2019 (released)
- Episode 3: May 9, 2019 (released)
- Episode 4: August 22, 2019 (released)
- Episode 5: December 3, 2019 (released)

Trailer(s):
Life is Strange 2 - Official Teaser

Life is Strange 2 - Official Reveal Trailer

Latest news:
Life is Strange 2 Episode 1 is coming September 27, more info in August
Life is Strange 2 up for pre-order, $39.99
Life is Strange 2 - Official Teaser (Full Reveal August 20)

Life is Strange 2 - Reveal Trailer
Life is Strange 2 - Official Gameplay

Archiving - Final Fantasy VII Remake

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Another thing, albeit one that would require too much work, that could be cool is a list of key figure and possible new key figures at SE to see who could be at the helm of future titles and what could they bring to the table.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

CBU I: Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2, New Kingdom Hearts Project, New KH Mobile Spin-off, New HD Action IP
CBU II: Ni3R, DQXII, DQ: The Adventure of Dai Infinity Strash, DQ Monster Joker 3, Erik&Sister DQ title, Bravely Default 2, Octopath Traveller 2
External collaborations: Outriders (People Can Fly), NieR 1.5, Babylon Fall (PlatinumGames)

There is Yuji Naka's project too. That could be the new action IP maybe?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

CBU II: Ni3R, DQXII, DQ: The Adventure of Dai Infinity Strash, DQ Monster Joker 3, Erik&Sister DQ title, Bravely Default 2, Octopath Traveller 2
DQMJ3 released on 3DS years ago. The new DQM is actually the game with Erik and his sister as kids and it's not a Joker game (think more like DQM4).

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
There is Yuji Naka's project too. That could be the new action IP maybe?
I'm not convinced that Yuji Naka at Square Enix is working on something that Era will find exciting. I remember people getting excited that one of the Chrono Trigger directors was working for Square Enix again and it just ended up being a Tokyo RPG Factory game. Looking at Yuji Naka's recent games, they're all smaller titles. I'd expect his game at Square Enix to be a similar deal.