Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Reserved!

ZBFY1fC.png

01. Altered Beast (1988, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★☆☆☆☆
Exhibit A in the case why beat 'em ups really need more planes of movement than platformers or fighting games; when surrounded, you can't dodge easily without sidestepping. I have to imagine the large sprites, animal transformations, and voice samples were impressive at the time. But all that remains now is a stiff, clunky action game, with a cookie-cutter save-the-princess plot, and a beefcake protagonist. Even the central gimmick of transforming into a monster/animal is dubiously executed: the transformation orbs can catch you out at the wrong time, forcing you to take a hit. Since the level ends soon after you transform, you also don't get to stomp around as a big tiger as long as you want.

CvX9Oa1.png

02. Golden Axe (1989, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★★☆☆☆
The drab colour palette and tell-don't-show approach to storytelling robs this fantasy beat 'em up of a lot of potential charm. Ostensibly you're adventuring over turtles with villages on their shells and using eagles as bridges, but 90% of the environments are brown paths with little life to them. Fights feel okay, but a lot of enemies get palette swapped, and the mounts require more precision than you'd like.

Z3FioSW.png

03. Golden Axe II (1992, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★★☆☆☆
Very similar to the first game. You've got a few more moves at your disposal in the sequel, but once again the high amount of re-used palette swapped enemies means repetition sets in quickly. The storytelling sequences are a bit more convincing, and it's an overall more colourful game, ending on a cool final boss room. But aside for the significantly improved soundtrack, this feels like the series immediately entered a holding pattern.

4MzCP3P.png

04. Alien Storm (1991, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★★★☆☆
Alien invasion beat 'em up, supposedly from the Golden Axe team, although this feels markedly better. Levels are more varied since the belt scrolling sections are interspersed with short first person shooting galleries or speedy running segments. The game has a sense of humour to it, with aliens hiding in trash cans or mailboxes, and levels opening on dramatic 50s style sci-fi openings. It's all very stupid, but the game leans into it which makes it considerably more tolerable.

LNIglPt.png

05. Ristar (1995, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★★★☆☆
Colourful mascot platformer with detailed level designs and several decent bosses. Visual flourishes make it feel alive, such as the varied idle animations, and how Ristar enters the snow world on skiis. The level transitions feel very similar to the Sonic games on Genesis, but I'm seeing conflicting answers about how much development overlap there truly was.

1qYJQcP.png

06. Disc Room (2020, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Solid action game about dodging buzzsaws in small rooms. The light puzzle elements, great soundtrack, and snappy pace keep it from growing stale, but the story is entirely forgettable. Almost half my deaths were against the final boss, but the instant retry kept it free of frustration.

w42RsCM.png

07. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (2024, Switch) ★★★★☆
Feels fitting to complete this shortly after Akira Toriyama's passing, given how some of the flashy boss battles feel modelled after Dragon Ball Z fights. The Lost Crown is a strong revival of the Prince of Persia series, returning to its sidescroller roots, but this time emerging as a Metroid-style exploration platformer. For a subgenre usually dominated by independent studios, the extra budget of a large publisher is on full display here. Mount Qaf is huge, constantly rolling out new biomes, many of them with arresting visual designs, and region-specific obstacles and enemies. Traversing the world is a joy thanks to nimble protagonist Sargon, who controls as fluidly as a Smash Bros. character, and the game constantly pushes you to chain all of his movement options together into white-knuckle acrobatic sequences.
The size of the world unfortunately does allow for some light but typical Ubisoft bloat to creep in. A lot of the storytelling is done through collecting lore documents, which feel inessential, and the stop-to-read nature of them feels antithetical to the otherwise fast pace of traversal. I wish this game had the confidence to apply Metroid's central lesson of letting its (incredible!) architecture do environmental storytelling, and keeping lore dumps short and mysterious. Furthermore, since the developers have so many nooks and crannies to fill, you invariably wind up with 3 separate currencies to pay for various upgrades, meaning the reward for some of the game's gnarliest optional platforming sections will absolutely be just another Xerxes coin you're already drowning in. Sometimes the designers actively troll you, too: whoever designed a minutes-long room full of sawblades requiring complete memorisation, only to reward you with... lilac pants... was definitely cackling to themselves.
There's more critiques you could leverage against the game, like how the story doesn't really establish Sargon's personal motivations, how it appears to miss a boss fight somewhere along the way, and how it undercuts its strong finale somewhat with two weaker final cut-scenes. But a lot of the lesser aspects feel like the result of a team taking big swings, and they're quite minor in the grand scheme.

Given its title and premise, this series inherently invites discussion about whether it falls for typical Orientalist traps of exoticism. I'm not remotely qualified to speak on those topics, but the game features characters named after goddesses like Anahita, and draws upon mythology to enrich its world by including creatures like a Manticore, the Simurgh mythical bird, and the snake-like Azhdaha. Playing this with the full Farsi dub, and backed by the incredible soundtrack from Iranian producer Mentrix, I've definitely become acutely aware of my very limited understanding of the region's history. It feels like a lot of care went into this project, and I hope this team get to make a sequel.

PohmklC.png

08. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech (2019, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
It's admirable how the SteamWorld series remains committed to switching up its genres with most releases. This one is a turn based RPG with card battles. It's simple to grasp, with 3 active characters in your party cycling through decks of 8 cards each, but there's plenty of cards and interactions between them to allow for some depth. That said, I don't think the game is very successful at convincing you to try out new strategies once you've landed upon a reliable one. Outside of combat I find very little to recommend here. The storybook framing device and heaps of middling comedy dialogue make it difficult to get invested in anything, and few conversations are worth listening to, unless you're interested in mild observational humour. The downright tedious pacing during any non-combat segments, even with the game permanently set to fast-forward, further emphasises how much time is spent outside of card battles. Frankly, most of it feels disposable, dragging down an otherwise solid card battler with great visuals.

bL7P84t.png

09. SteamWorld Dig 2 (2017, Switch) ★★★☆☆
The first direct sequel in the SteamWorld series, and a mixed improvement over its predecessor. It looks gorgeous, with much improved mobility options, and it retains most of the gameplay loop of the original where you mine for ores, return to the surface, sell your findings, and purchase upgrades. This time the world is hand designed rather than procedurally generated, which makes for a more streamlined experience, but also means you're funnelled down specific routes. I never dug myself an impossible hole, or felt any ownership of the tunnel networks I was digging, as they all have guaranteed guardrails placed by the level designers. I kind of missed the constant pressure of the original game to maintain a functional hub-and-spoke system to ensure I could return to the surface. A bit too much friction was reduced there, in my opinion.

vIWNBWe.png

10. ITTA (2020, Switch) ★★★★☆
Seen this get recommended by folks like Malverde and Rhaknar over the years in these threads, so finally jumped on a sale. It's a melancholy affair, mixing light exploration with twin-stick bullet hell boss battles. The game manages to evoke a lot of sympathy for its characters, and humanises the bosses in a manner reminiscent of Pandora's Tower. Definitely feels like a lot of personal experience went into the resigned, hopeless mood underpinning the setting. I have some basic complaints (wish the map marked areas you'd already been to as done, some boss music gets repetitive, it crashed on me once after beating a difficult boss, etc.) but those feel minor compared to what's accomplished here.

0U4moNg.png

11. Swordship (2022, Switch) ★★★★☆
Ultra stylish futuristic speedboat game where you steal containers on a canal, while zigzagging through enemy fire, all set to bumping EDM tunes. You have few offensive moves at your disposal, so your best defence is trying to make enemies hit each other. Pulling such a move off at the last second results in a satisfying Burnout style slow-mo crash. The run-based nature of the game means no attempt is identical, and replaying is incentivised by dangling some carrots to unlock in front of you. Likewise the procedurally generated levels result in further variation, although I wish it would re-use the same seed upon death, since you can never retry the scenario that killed you. Very cool game though, can't believe I missed out on this 2 years ago.

I7ygElR.png

12. Hexapoda (2023, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
Insect-themed vertical shooter with a solid EDM soundtrack, and striking black and white artwork complimented by unique bullet patterns of contrasting pink & teal shots. There's a real sense this could've been a winner, but unfortunately it falls short in several areas beyond presentation. My primary complaint is how this tries to marry the bullet hell staple of instant respawns with traditional space shooter upgrade pick-ups. In my opinion this combination rarely works: your firepower being variable against overwhelming odds is tough to balance for when you don't know the precise moment a player will die/respawn at (hence why classic shooters used checkpoints to control for unbeatable situations). Hexapoda further compounds this issue by not letting you pick lost upgrades back up until your i-frames end. This can (and will) result in rapid consecutive loss of lives when you invariably get caught early in a big wave of shots.
The game inherits another classic issue of pick-ups too, where too many dropped weapon capsules effectively force you to evade upgrades to keep your current load-out. Meanwhile speed increases are nowhere to be found, even though they'd be welcome. I have some further nitpicks, particularly about the story: there's both too much of it, but also not enough to prevent multiple anticlimactic ending, and the slightly cringeworthy dialogue translation does the game no favours. I feel bad for coming down quite negatively on this one, since it's by a tiny team, and they shipped a totally playable, at times even cool game. It just happens to run against a lot of my personal tastes.

mivBKNy.png

13. Xelan Force (2024, Switch) ★★★☆☆
Space shooter somewhat in the vein of Zanac or early Aleste titles, but with none of the slowdown. It's a mostly solid, albeit unoriginal genre exercise. They don't really solve the classic issue of having to avoid unwanted power-ups, and having to choose your turrets' behaviour at the start of a run feels less flexible than you'd want. I also ran into the issue where dying once can quickly lead to a cascading life count since it de-powers you. This feels like it should be a solved problem by now; just let the player scramble to re-acquire their dropped pick-ups before their i-frames run out. Xelan Force seems comfortable reaching for facsimile status, which it does convincingly, and with a decent finale up its sleeve it ends on a high note.

HQjkLlT.png

14. Rainbow Cotton (2024, Switch) ★★☆☆☆
By commissioning a remake of this previously Japan-exclusive Dreamcast railshooter from 2000, publishers Success Corporation & ININ Games have now brought the entire Cotton series (minus Pachinko Cotton) to modern systems. This is the 2nd railshooter in the series, a sequel to Panorama Cotton on Genesis. Since I played all of them in 2022, I couldn't let Rainbow Cotton's mixed reputation get in the way of my completionism.
Let's start out with the positives: this game is a looker, with varied colourful environments, and cute enemies which give Kirby Air Ride vibes. The music borders on the twee, but has some okay tunes, and everything runs at a consistent framerate no matter how hectic things get. It's got some memorable set-pieces (the Stage 1 train and Stage 3 boss stand out in in particular), and this remake fixes several QOL issues too. Unlike in the original, the remake indicates where branching paths occur, gives bosses visible health bars, appears to have fixed the auto-centering controls, and added a visual indicator for your lock-on shots. An added benefit of the move to widescreen is how Cotton's character model doesn't get in the way of your vision as much as it seemed to have done on Dreamcast, too.

Unfortunately the remake can't fix everything. This game has a lot of cut-scenes, which are cleaned up a bit here and subtitled (apparently done with an existing fan-translation team, neat!). However, the cut-scenes themselves remain shoddily voiced 90s anime nonsense, have 1 joke they keep repeating (Cotton wants to eat Willow candy), and seem pre-occupied with framing the faeries' cleavages as much as possible. Another aspect the game inherits from its original version are the slow, way-too-long stages which stretch 8-10 minutes each, and make you start over upon death.
This gets particularly annoying given the frankly absurd difficulty spike in the last stage. For an otherwise mostly breezy series it suddenly starts raining bullets towards the end, and since you have no i-frames, dodge, or speed-up, it's very easy to tank 3 consecutive hits in a single second. Due to stingy placement of item containers you can also totally blow up all your faeries against one of the 4 late-game bosses, and as a result need to white-knuckle the already drawn-out final battle with effectively a pea-shooter.
An odd change the remake makes to said final battle is to give the boss an invincibility shield at 75%/50%/25% health to make sure the player doesn't kill her before seeing all the phases. From a design standpoint I can see not wanting players to win before the planned dramatic finale, but as a player it feels like you're being forced to endure even more patterns without being able to return fire.

The remake also kind of drops the ball in surfacing information. There's no button lay-out, manual, instruction, or tutorial of any kind. And while the game seems like a simple 2-button affair, it doesn't communicate at all why your Magic (think equivalent of a Bomb) sometimes changes effects. Turns out if you're firing and locked onto an enemy, you trigger a different Magic variant which blows up a faerie. Another thing you'll need to discover is how the auto-fire is actually slower than mashing your thumb to smithereens. Feels like using two buttons (one for auto-fire, one for the homing attack) would've been preferable here. Likewise I would've preferred two buttons for the alternate Magic bomb uses, to have more control over losing faeries or not, and a simpler button to input more credits would be preferable over the elaborate cheat code you need to input currently.

In conclusion: Rainbow Cotton is a lacking, overly long, and frankly exhausting railshooter which tries to skate by on its strong presentation. The team at KRITZELKRATZ 3000 have attempted an admirable salvage job, but their remake is simply too small in scope to make the drastic changes this game truly needs. Between this game, the also poor Panorama Cotton, and the limp 3D bonus stages in Cotton Fantasy I feel like this series should dip out of railshooters entirely. It's a tough sub-genre to make, its perspective doesn't leverage Cotton's central appear (her amusing facial expressions), and Success Corp. are never going to have the budget to hire a studio which can compete with the likes of Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sin & Punishment 2, Rez, or Kid Icarus: Uprising, so even their best effort will come up lacking.

JkIOxzg.png

15. Dr. Mario (1990, Switch - GB NSO) ★★★★☆
The Game Boy version of Dr. Mario is very similar to the NES release, and just as fiendishly addictive. They've cleverly accounted for the lack of colour by giving the viruses patterns instead. The end screen is different too, which is a nice touch.

MebIGTH.png

16. Alleyway (1989, Switch - GB NSO) ★★☆☆☆
Rather basic variant on Breakout/Arkanoid. It has about 3 ideas and cycles through them 8 times, which gets old fast. The horizontally scrolling stages are novel, but kind of give me a headache. It doesn't solve the usual Breakout issue where you spend 3 minutes trying to hit the last remaining block, but also never makes time an issue - even in levels where it slowly lowers blocks, they'll cap out at a pre-planned height, never threatening to overwhelm the player.

tqjJ3lU.png

17. XIIZeal a.k.a. XII Stag (2002/2023, Switch) ★★★★☆
Re-release of Triangle Service's 2nd major vertical shooter, following G-Stream 2020 (now known as ΔZeal ), which is a game I unexpectedly fell in love with last year. XIIZeal is an objectively more polished game, but doesn't quite match the same heights for me. This one is laser-focused on score chaining: shooting foes down nets you points once, but using your sideswipe lets you multiply those points per sideswiped enemy. Of course this means you'll need to play riskier to get close to enemies. Keeping a chain of 12x multipliers going rewards you with a satisfying robotic voice yelling "TWELVETWELVETWELVE", and you can soar to even further heights by using the bomb's forcefield to cancel big shot barrages up to 1000 points per shot. The risk there is once again proximity - do you dare to hover right next to a boss' cannon, catching all its bullets in a bomb-cancel, and simultaneously sideswiping its various elements?
It results in a mostly focused, streamlined game, although its final stage visuals feel at odds with the general theming. XIIZeal wears its secrets prominently on its sleeve, listed right there as achievements. It's more accessible for sure, but ΔZeal 's determination to leave players in the dark feels a little more interesting to me. Perhaps the true value of this re-release lies in its developer commentary, which reflects on the changing conditions for solo developers in the past 2 decades. Here's hoping Toshiaki Fujino has one more future game in him, or at least gets to re-release TriZeal Remix.

c197Qnd.png

18. Super R-Type (Switch - SNES NSO) ★★★☆☆
In appropriate Bydo fashion this feels like a mutated version of R-Type II. About half its levels are still partially recognisable, particularly the underwater stage, battleship fight, and the difficult factory chase. The other half is new material, albeit with some palette swapped enemies.
This feels like a rather inessential release, with less iconic music (most bosses use the same tune), and less of the H.R. Giger horror imagery which informs the series' identity. One notable aspect however is how it's considerably easier than most of the series, thanks to copious slowdown working in your favour. Just don't start it on Hard mode, since the game challenges you to complete 2 loops, and the 2nd one ups the difficulty level by 1.

vwNf2JU.png

19. Zero Wing (1991, Switch - Genesis NSO) ★★☆☆☆
Quite forgettable horizontal space shooter, mostly known for the opening cut-scene which was added to this Genesis version and features the notorious "all your base are belong to us" translation. Besides this crumb of personality the game lacks a real identity. Bosses aren't memorable, and neither are the stages. Towards the end it starts cribbing from Alien and R-Type, which doesn't mesh with the earlier stages, leading to an incoherent campaign.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Completed: 23/52
In progress: 2

Last edited:

TortoiseRevenge

The Fallen
Jan 1, 2018
I've done this without joining the thread for the last couple of years, but I suppose this year is a good year to start in these threads. (Reserved)

May 15, 2019
Reserved - probably not going to make it again but really want to work on my backlog!

1. Super Mario RPG (Switch) | 8th Jan - 13hrs | 8/10
2. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PC (Steam) / ROG Ally) | 20th Jan - 16 hrs | 10/10
3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PlayStation 5) | 22nd Jan - 7 hrs | 9/10
4. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PlayStation 5) | 27th Jan - 15 hrs | 9/10
5. The Last of Us: Part I (PlayStation 5) | 4th Feb - 12 hrs | 9/10
6. Mortal Kombat X (ROG Ally) | 8th Mar - 7.5 hrs | 8/10
7. Kirby: Squeak Squad (Nintendo 3DS) | 10th Mar - 4.5 hrs | 8/10
8. The Last of Us: Part II Remastered (PlayStation 5) | 12th Mar - 18 hrs | 9/10
9. Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (ROG Ally) | 27th Mar - 10 hrs | 8/10
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo 3DS) | 6th Apr - 5 hrs | 7/10
11. Mortal Kombat 1 (PlayStation 5) | 15th Apr - 6 hrs | 8.5/10
12. Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo 3DS) | 17th Apr - 3.5 hrs | 6/10

Game NumberTitlePlatformCompletion DateCompletion Time (hrs)Personal Rating (1-10)
1Super Mario RPGNintendo Switch8th Jan138
2Marvel's Spider-Man RemasteredPC (Steam) / ROG Ally20th Jan1610
3Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles MoralesPlayStation 522nd Jan79
4Marvel's Spider-Man 2PlayStation 527th Jan159
5The Last of Us: Part IPlayStation 54th Feb129
6Mortal Kombat XROG Ally8th Mar7.58
7Kirby: Squeak SquadNintendo 3DS10th Mar4.58
8The Last of Us: Part II RemasteredPlayStation 512th Mar189
9Mortal Kombat 11 UltimateROG Ally27th Mar108
10New Super Mario Bros. 2Nintendo 3DS6th Apr57
11Mortal Kombat 1PlayStation 515th Apr68.5
12Pilotwings ResortNintendo 3DS17th Apr3.56

1. Helldivers 2
2. Hogwarts Legacy

January Update
February-March Update

Last edited:

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Not gonna make it this time, but I'll post here anyway.

TitlePlatformCompletion DateScore
1A Space for the UnboundPC1-6★★★★☆
2Chants of SennaarPC1-20★★★★☆
3Alan WakePC2-3★★★☆☆
4SumirePC2-11★★★☆☆
5Once in a LifetimePC2-12★★★☆☆
6Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milkPC2-19★★★☆☆
7ElizaPC2-22★★★☆☆
8MinitPC2-24★★★☆☆
9Castlevania: Order of EcclesiaDS3-6★★★★☆
10Once Upon a JesterPC3-9★★★☆☆
11Never AlonePC3-11★★★☆☆
12Looking Up I See Only a CeilingPC3-16★★★☆☆
13The Darkside DetectivePC3-18★★★☆☆
14Battlebit RemasteredPC3-20★★★☆☆
15Remember11: The Age of InfinityPSP3-24★★★★☆
16Mediterranea InfernoPC4-4★★★★☆
17Chaos;ChildPC4-22★★★★☆
18Another WorldSNES5-1★★★☆☆
19Dragon's CrownPSV5-1★★★☆☆
20AstebreedPC5-6★★★☆☆
21Hotel Dusk: Room 215DS5-12★★★☆☆
22Chocory: A Colorful TalePC5-21★★★★☆
23Botany ManorPC5-29★★★☆☆
24Stop Burying Me Alive, Beautiful!PC5-30★★★☆☆
25Can Androids Pray: RedPC5-31★★★☆☆
26Ys: The Oath in FelghanaPSP6-9★★★★☆

2-5
6-8
9-15
17-21

Last edited:

robesgruyere

One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2018
Back again with a much larger child that lets me play less games, so we'll see where we get.

PAST CHALLENGES
2022 - 0 Completions
2021 - 52 Completions
2020 - 88 Completions

1.Death Must Die - ★★★★ - 10 Hours
6eahYY3.png

Ratings
★ - Trash, or Shovel-ware; no redeeming factors
★★ - Bad; but has some redeeming factors
★★★ - Good; not bad, but not great
★★★★ - Great; has minor flaws, but is a clear recommendation
★★★★★ - Excellent; a definite recommendation, minor flaws are little enough to look past

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

80FWM22.jpg

Game 1 - World of Warcraft Dragonflight
Platform - PC
Time: Ongoing
Rating: 9/10

The reason I almost failed the challenge in 2023, as this expansion has really taken over my gaming life, and in 2024 it's showing no signs of stopping with the same patch cadence, a banger ongoing season 3 and a season 4 on the horizon before the new expansion hits in the fall. Easily my most played wow expansion since TBC, and the future looks good with the three new expansions announce (especially if they manage to release them at a faster pace as teased).

header.jpg

Game 2 - Neversong
Time: 4 hours
Platform: Switch
Rating: 7/10

Neat little "metroidvania-lite" with some cool creepy art style (I love how the main character skips around) and decent exploration and puzzles, at least for it's short duration. It has a really cool horror-lite vibe (or kids horror I guess, reminds me of Coroline for example) and since it's quite short it never overstays it's welcome, as the game itself is not as good as other more featured games in the genre. Worth playing especially for horror fans.

header.jpg

Game 3 - Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Time: 25 hours

Easily my favorite match-3 game ever, and in general one of my favorite games ever really, I had played it back on Pc many years ago and now on the Switch it completely holds up (and is a perfect port to boot). Lengthy campaign, great art style, actually decent writing for what it is, and the match-3 gameplay is great with constant new units / pieces to use as you move from one campaign to the next, just a perfectly executed game in my opinion and it was a blast to replay. Highly recommended if you like match-3 in the slightest.

header.jpg

Game 4 - Lost Ruins
Time: 6 hours

Pretty short metroidvania with some basic gameplay but pretty satisfying exploration and survival mechanics / item management (I've never used as many food / health items in one of these in my life!), and some truly amazing pixel art especially portable (although I should warn you, it leans HEAVY on the usual anime "waifu" stuff). I had a good time but it's not amazing by any means, probably just for the most hardcore fans of the genre, and worth it mostly for the pixel art. It's also pretty hard, as you die very fast, but you can also do some real cheesy builds later one that trivialize it.

OIP.biHIOC1FfopXCBCaa3zcPwAAAA

Game 5 - Super Mario RPG
Time: 12 hours

Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed with this one. Super charming and it looks gorgeous, but the overall package feels very dated in my opinion (I guess such a faithful remake would), the combat is alright with the timing based attacks, but I felt the writing was really bad (and childish, more than usual), the story was completely bland and the characters uninteresting. It's also really short for a JRPG, but to be fair I pretty much just mainlined the game as it wasn't doing much for me and I had no interest in the side stuff. Shame, I didn't hate it or anything, and it has the Nintendo charm, but I certainly didn't love it either.

UwEfcoh.jpg

Game 6 - Picross S Mega Drive & Master System edition
Time: 35 hours
Rating: 8/10

As usual, a banger Picross game, with bonus points for the pictures being from various games that really hit the nostalgia bone instead of just being random pictures, but at the same time, the series feels like it plateaued when they introduced color puzzles, and now it's always just more of the same. Of course more of the same here is great picross puzzles, but I wish they would introduce something new, or gave us more color puzzles at least, it feels like half the game (the normal and clip puzzles) are kinda boring now, and the other half (mega and color) is fantastic.

header.jpg

Game 7 - Dragon Quest Builders 2
Time: 55 hours

Absolutely fantastic sequel to an already enjoyable first game, building (no pun intended) on the foundations that the previous entry did, and improving on pretty much every aspect. Much bigger story, bigger locations, tons more stuff to build, just overall an awesome action rpg and crafting sandbox mix, which a surprisingly good story to boot. And if you like the building mechanics, there is a full fledged sandbox mode where you can build to your heart's content. I really love this series (Switch port is pretty good too, looks very sharp portable and the performance for the most part was decent given how big some of the environments were).

header.jpg

Game 8 - Myastere Ruins of Deazniff
Time: 6 hours
Rating: 5/10

Another 2d metroidvania, unfortunately this one wasn't very good, even for me a notable genre fanboy. For every good thing it has, it has two bad things to counter it which is really annoying. the 2d art and animation on the main character is pretty good, but most of the environments are super bland. The gameplay is neat since its mostly a shooter (so I guess its more metroid than castlevania in that sense) and you get a ton of different ammo and grenades to use, but its never clear which ones are better or why you should use them. The progression is weird and novel, as its basically a giant sandbox and you can go everywhere, but again, while novel, that just makes progression more annoying than it should be (especially when there's no fast travel). You have a hook from the start that you can use to get up to 90% of the map, but controlling the hook is super fiddly. Like I said, it's a constant 1 step forward 2 steps back with this game. Couple that with some of the worst translation I've ever seen in a game, and you get a overall very mediocre experience.

OIP.uVHYMSPsUsGHko4e9nShgAAAAA

Game 9 - Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Time: 26 hours
Rating: 9.5/10

And my first game of the year contender arrives in shocking fashion, as Ubisoft gives us easily one of the best metroidvanias ever made, and probably my favorite Prince of Persia game ever. Just a fantastically crafted game, from the presentation, to the amazing level design, fantastic combat and traversal, very meaty campaign, just a perfect example of the genre that stands with the best like Hollow Knight, SOTN and the like. An absolute must play for any fan of these games, or even as an introduction to the genre. A near perfect game that I could nitpick but won't because I loved it.

header.jpg

Game 10 - Resident Evil 6
Time: 25 hours
Rating: 8.5/10

Finally got around to playing this as it was one of the few Resident Evil games I hadn't played, not because it had a mixed reception (to say the least), but I never got around to play it. I'm glad I did tho because I ended up really liking it, but at the same time I can't blame anyone that doesn't. There's very little actual Resident Evil here, at least game structure wise, as it leads even more into the action after 5, with very little to no puzzles or exploration at all. Still, the gameplay is super fun, I lvoe how the 4 campaigns intersect, it's a behemoth of a game (especially for a RE) at 20-25 hours, and the Switch version looks shockingly fantastic, especially portable (unlike other survival horror games *cough*alanwake*cough*). I liked it a lot more than I expected going in, it was a nice surprise.

header.jpg

Game 11 - Resident Evil 3 Remake
Time: 8 hours
Platform: XBOX Series X
Rating: 6.5/10

Incredibly disappointing remake compared to 1 and 2 (especially 2), with a super short campaign that apparently cuts a lot of content (which I wouldn't know since I don't remember the OG at all), and some incredibly frustrating sequences with Nemesis chasing you. It's gorgeous and it has that RE gameplay to it for sure (certainly feels more like a "proper" RE game than 6 did), but it's overall just a mediocre RE game, probably down there with Zero in my opinion (which is the only RE game I never finished, that's how much I dislike it).

header.jpg

Game 12 - Last Epoch (full release)
Platform: PC

After playing this on and off a few times over the years while it was in early access and enjoying but not loving it, I am happy to say the final product really turned out great, and is probably one of my favorite "Diablo style" action rpgs around. Some of the best classes in the genre, with a fantastic skill talent system, much better graphics than the early access had, and some decent endgame systems to keep anyone busy until they inevitably add more stuff, especially with such a good class system that incentivizes players to make new characters. I'm winding down now after 300 or so hours and multiple classes at endgame, but will definitely keep playing more throughout the year.

header.jpg

Game 13 - Dragon's Dogma 2
Time: 80 hours
Platform: PS5

One of my favorite rpgs ever finally gets a sequel, and it's also one of the best action rpgs I've ever played, that at the same time does so many things that annoy me, not unlike the first game. In fact, this feels more like a remake than a sequel, as it's kinda the same game only much bigger and prettier. Still, I loved the first one (weird design decisions and all) and I loved this one, but I really wish they took a page from From's book and added some quality of life changes like From did with Elden Ring compared to the Souls series. I'm probably rating this higher than it deserves (btw performance also isn't the best) but it's one of those cases where the whole is not the sum of it's parts and I just love this series man.

header.jpg

Game 14 - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Time: 45 hours

Because I couldn't get enough of DD, I went back to play the first game, on the Switch this time. Pretty decent port, but going back you see how much the same game the sequel is, except just better. Dark Arisen's lack of environment variety really makes it feel like a bit of a slog after playing the sequel, but at it's core it's still the same great game. It gets bonus points because it has Bitterblack Island which is much better than the core game (and better than anything in the sequel too).

header.jpg

Game 15 - Balatro
Rating: 9.5/10

A poker roguelike, how does that work? Well, it works fantastically that's how. Easily one of the best roguelikes in years, very easy to get into but very hard to master, just one of the games that you will be playing for months and months, even if its just "one run" here and now, since it has a ton of stuff to unlock. It's also very cheap, which is always nice. Just a fantastic game overall, and very highly recommended for fans of roguelikes.

OIP.m4bRfwGDMAilYIw4qsHO5wHaD3

Game 16 - Salt & Sacrifice
Time: 20 hours

Finally got around to play this after hearing how much it had changed from the first game, and in the end, it really hasn't? At it's core it's still the same "metroidvania" style game, with some fantastic level design and combat, except they introduce the "mage hunts" system, which is sorta-kinda like a monster hunter style hunt, where you can kill bosses that you fight for a bit, they run away, you fight them a bit more until they finally settle in one spot for you to kill them. I thought the system was fine, it didn't really change the core of the game, and it was fun to see multiple of them fighting each other sometimes (not unlike turf wars in monhun I guess). The game itself is not as good as the first one tho, with a lot less locations and overall just feels like a smaller game in general. I still liked it a lot and I think fans of the first one should still enjoy it.

2AmqCpT.png

Game 17 - Stellar Blade
Time: 40 hours
Platform: PS5

Let's get the obvious elephant out of the way: the sexualization / fanservice / whatever you want to call it in the game is absolutely ridiculous, embarrasing, and probably hurtful to women. If you choose to not engage with this game because of that, I cannot blame you at all. Which actually makes the following even more frustrating, because at it's core, this is a very good, very well made videogame. It looks (and runs) fantastic, the campaign is very meaty, the gameplay is satisfying, the sound design is really good, enemies look great especially the big bosses, there's a ton of stuff to do and collect, it's honestly such a complete package like you don't see many these days (reminds me of Insomniac's Spidey games), that it makes the aforementioned problem really stand out and it just bums me out, because otherwise this was really good.

header.jpg

Game 18 - Lego Builder's Journey
Time: 2 hours
Rating: 6/10

Cute little puzzle game that has you use lego blocks to solve various environmental puzzles, looks gorgeous but it's very short and the controls are very finicky, at least on console. It's super chill and definitely worth playing, but there's not much to it.

header.jpg

Game 19 - Iris Fall
Time: 4 hours

This was a really good 2d puzzle platformer, with some really clever shadow manipulation puzzles and really good visual asthetics, like a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Coroline. It's not very long, but it never feels short, and even tho it has a few obnoxious puzzles later on (for me at least, a few rubix-cube style rotating puzzles that always break me), it's an easy recomendation for fans of the genre.

header.jpg

Game 20 - Devil Slayer Raksasi
Time: 10 hours
Rating: 5.5/10

Mediocre top-down rogue like with some neat ideas but the gameplay feels fery stiff, the classes don't feel different enough (especially when you can just get the other classes weapons at any point), the top down perspective looks weird and overall it's just not very good in a genre that is flooded with games these days. Disappointing.

Last edited:

darkgear96

Dec 16, 2018
I´ll Start this year to keep track of the games Im playing!

January:
Pokemon Violet: I finish this game on jan 1st still missing to complete the DLC, this game is not as fun as legends arceus and has really bad performance issues but I found pretty fun to try to fill out the pokedex im at like 300 pokemons out of 400 for the national dex. (6.5/10)

yes06kin

Jun 15, 2018
Going to try and go for this during the year! Last year I only beat about two games because of adjusting to a new work/life schedule. Now that things are set in, I think I can do this! Good luck to everyone attempting this as well this year!

NuclearTurtle

Oct 30, 2017
Finished:
  1. Path of Exile: Affliction - 40 hours (Lvl 92 Guardian SRS w/ Harvest+Delirium setup)
  2. Against the Storm - 20 hours (first seal)
  3. Resident Evil 3 - 7 hours
  4. Resident Evil Village - 12 hours
  5. Fallout 4 - 80 hours (All major story/side missions + Far Harbor)
  6. Celeste - 12 hours (All berries/cassettes/blue crystal hearts)
  7. Balatro - 6 hours (Finished a game)
  8. Final Fantasy VII (Original) - 35 hours
  9. Warframe - 75 hours (to New War)
  10. Rogue Legacy 2 - 25 hours (NG)
  11. Diablo IV - Season 4 - 30 hours (Lvl100 Minion Necro)
  12. Yakuza 3 - 20 hours
  13. Destiny 2: Lightfall - 8 hours
  14. Destiny 2: The Final Shape - 40 hours
Currently Playing:
  1. Elden Ring
  2. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  3. V Rising
  4. World of Warcraft: Dragonflight - Season 4
  5. Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising
  6. Hearthstone
Deck:
  1. Octopath Traveler
  2. Yakuza 4
  3. Chants of Senaar
Played Some:
  1. Palworld - 15 hours (lvl 33, costs started to escalate and gameplay got repetitive)
  2. World of Warcraft: Plunderstorm - 1 hour
  3. Marvel's Midnight Suns - 50 hours (Act 2, too repetitive and combat never felt like more than trying to work around really restricting card play counts)
Coming Back:
  1. Super Mario Bros: Wonder - 1 hour
  2. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 8 hours
  3. Halls of Torment - 2 hours
  4. Helldivers 2 - 10 hours
  5. Fallout 76 - 5 hours
  6. Gloomhaven - 5 hours
  7. Last Epoch - 8 hours
  8. Valheim - 4 hours
  9. Baldur's Gate 3 - ACt 1 finished, 50 hours
  10. Total War: Warhammer III - Epidemius campaign

Last edited:

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Reserved!

Currently Playing:

1.Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Alan Wake 2
4. Spider-Man 2

Its been 5 years since the last time I did this. Good time as ever to restart!

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
First update of the year. Managed to close out two smaller games I'd started in the run up to the end of the year but with Christmas, New Year and playing through things to finalise my GotY list, they slipped to the start of 2024.

1. Thomas Was Alone (PC/Steam Deck) | 2.7 Hours | 8/10

I've not played this for a couple of years now and remember really enjoying the simplicity of it. That still very much remains true to this day as its a lovely little game with solid writing (well narrated by Danny Wallace) and simple but well done gameplay. I know Mike Bithell jokes about it as being the one about the rectangles but it's a well rounded game, slowly adding added layers to level layouts as well as character mechanics but never getting to the point of creating an impasse. It's all very manageable in a way that last year's Cocoon was in so much as its a puzzler that's on the easier side but doesn't falter for that.

Really enjoyed jumping back into it after all these years again and while it'll be years before I do touch it again, I can see the allure of the rectangles pulling me back somewhere down the line.

2. The Looker (PC/Steam Deck) | 94mins | 6/10

I remember seeing a lot about this game a few years back but I didn't have the hardware to be able to run it. With grabbing a Steam Deck last year, that issue was resolved and I added this to my library.

As a game that's a "parody" of The Witness, its pretty solid for such a short and free experience. The line puzzles were well done with a decent level for complexity building with some additional quirks and one of moments that stood out, such as the one where there was no explicit path from Start to End on the screen but you had to use the lead instead or playing Snake. Didn't really pay much attention to the audio logs but collected them all.

My main qualms come from playing it on the Steam Deck. Using a mouse would definitely have been preferable as while the track pad did the job, it didn't give the fine control for the puzzles I'd have wanted at times and so it dragged the game back a bit. That said, even with that being an issue it's worth a look in especially as it's free.

Total: 2/52
Platform Breakdown:

PC: 2

Currently Playing:
The Crew Motorfest (XSS)
Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5)
Firewatch (PC)
QUBE 2 (PC)
Halo: MCC - Halo CE Campaign

Dec 7, 2017
I'm in for the third year in a row!
Had tons of fun previous two years doing this.

2022 - 64 / 52 Games beat, 52 New games completed!
2023 - 58 / 52 Games beat, 53 new games completed!

Currently playing:
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to grab a post and do nothing with it

I shan't lie and say this will with 100% certainty be different, but I do actually have a personal goal this year. See, I've got a Switch carrying case. It has twelve slots for game cards, and a handy little pouch on the other side… issue is, I had twenty-eight other games in that pouch. Now, I've already put a number of them away in their cases after recognizing with myself they won't be played at all. But I still have a large handful I kept on-hand.

And so that's my personal goal here: to clear that Switch pouch out entirely. I'll only post about the actual clears here, as my real goal does not require I actually beat anything. Simply put them away and clear up that bag space after realizing it's too much.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
2023 nada but my most beaten thus far!
2022 nope
2021 narp
2020 nah
2019 no
2018 Beaten

Hoping to add some PC handheld gaming this year!

11/52 COMPLETED

1. it Takes Two[11 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-DEC/ finished-JAN)
RATING: 4/5

Understandable why this won GOTY. Amazing visuals, gameplay that never gets old with new setpieces and gameplay shake up with new levels(a few that overstays their welcome though), story was rather lacking and most surprising is the solid smooth performance from start to end. A must play with someone else!

2. Assassin's Creed Origins [34 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-DEC/ finished-JAN)
RATING: 3.5/5

This map is too freaking huge, the combat doesn't get any better, the climbing can be annoying at times. The highlight is definitely Bayek and Aya, I was invested from the start. Neat to see the ahem origins of Assassin's Creed. This doesn't beat AC4 though.

3. TLOU P2 Remastered [28 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-JAN/ finished-FEB)
RATING: 4.5/5

This remaster is a looker in fidelity mode. Gameplay remains one of the highlights in this game and having modifiers and dev commentary helped make this pretty heavy story easier to digest, a lot of neat info from all folks involved in making this game. I still think the ending of this game could've been adjusted more to lead up to that ending but it is what is.

4. Silent Hill The Message [2 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-FEB/ finished-FEB)
RATING: 2/5

Meh, lovely visuals but god, the writing is just plain bad.

5. Like A Dragon 8: Infinite Wealth [75 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-FEB/ finished-MAR)
RATING: 4.5/5

Top 5 for sure! Combat is such leap over 7's combat, I never found myself feeling like it was a slog. Story wise, I was engaged throughout but I did find cutscenes to be too long at times and the pacing definitely was affected towards the end with the switch up chapters. I also quite enjoyed being more of Kazuma Kiryu send off that should've been more about. All those throwbacks were such great nostalgia ticklers! Side content was great as per usual and Dondonko while quite janky, was still a fun enough side distraction to mess with from time to time. Visually, I had a great time with Hawaii but overall, besides the fantastic models and animations, that's not something I'd give as a highlight. Must play GOTY contender!

6. Code Vein [36.5 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-MAR/ finished-MAR)
RATING: 2/5

The companion system and ichor system along with the anime visuals give it enough of a place to stand out in the souls genre. Hoping a sequel refines the slow ass animations and controls and ho hum tiny levels.

7. Final Fantasy Remake: Intergrade [5 hours] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-MAR/ finished-MAR)

Fun enough side bit before Rebirth. Fort Condor was a decent distraction.

8. Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth [65 hour] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-MAR/ finished-APR)

That final boss fight was such utter bullshit, like Kingdom Hearts kinda bullshit. As cool as it is to explore an open zone/world of FF7 is, the game felt very generic Ubisoft-ish approach of open world activities. Maybe I missed out on some unique experiences since I was mostly going for on the critical path. The story was interesting but confusing by the end with it's approach to timelines/multiverse shenanigans. Combat is a slight improvement with air combat being upgraded for melee fighters but still feels a bit more tweaking to being perfect or stellar combat. While each character does feel unique combat wise, most of the ability upgrades feel all the same to me. Yuffie, Barret, Cloud, Tifa are great and usually my crew I like to use and the others are fun but not my kinda style. The new Folio is something I didn't really gel with, I much preferred the old weapon upgrading system. Visually a significant step up for PS4 Remake and OST is fantastic remakes. Queen's Gambit needs to get its own game or SE has to make their own Gwent, please!

Looking forward to Part 3. LAD:IW is a better overall package.

9. The Artful Escape [4 hour] PS5 PLATINUMED
(started-APR/ finished-APR)
RATING: 5/5

I have no complaints, this is a must play for it's story, characters, visuals and music. Please play this game!

10. Stellar Blade [33 hour] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-MAY/ finished-MAY)

Wow, for a first console outing, they did one hell of a good job. Combat's great and varies enough throughout the main campaign with new skills and a decent amount of enemy variety. Visuals are good enough too, nothing too mind-blowing and the environments do kinda feel samey by the end. Music's also pretty stellar. The worst part of the game is Adam, I grew to like Eve and Lily enough. The Nier Automata influence is easily felt from the music and story but the writing is sadly something they really dropped the ball.

11. Dragon's Dogma 2 [50 hour] PS5 COMPLETED
(started-MAY/ finished-JUN)

Unlike the first one, this game got me hooked from start to end. It easily scratches that exploration and reward itch, the overall combat is so good and visually not a bad looker. Traversal and fast travel certainly could use a bit more improvement but thankfully ferrystones eventually didn't become a dry resource for me. The story was fine for the most part but not anything that I'll remember besides when the true DD2 actually starts.

A top 5 of 2024 for sure!

Hi-Fi Rush [1 hour] PC
(started-JAN/ finished-???)
RATING: ?/5

I am digging this game.

Nickelodeon All Star Brawl 2 [5 hours] PS5
(started-JAN/ finished-???)

Combat's fun, plenty of character feel and variety, can't get a single online connection though but the campaign has been so far. It still does feel a bit of jank to it's visuals.

Tears of The Kingdom[5 hours] SWITCH
(started-MAY23/ finished-???)

I will finish this game this year!

Last edited:

Mrmario315

May 15, 2018
Games Beaten 6/52

Playing

Persona 3 Reload
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Finished Games

March

07 -

February
06 - Granblue Fantasy Relink

January
05 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
04 - Blade Runner (1997)
03 - Armoured Core VI
02 - Marvels Spider-Man 2
01 - Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
115272_Knights_of_San_Francisco.png

1. Knights of San Francisco
First cap off the rack is a mobile text adventure. This was well written! I enjoyed post-apocalyptic fantasy San Francisco. You play Aren, looking for their older brother that abandoned their family. Throughout you fight goblins, orcs etc and father allies and complete quests. You're also a necromancer, so, at the cost of a sanity point, you can use defeated enemies on your team. The music was excellent and the artwork was good. This had a nice aesthetic. I got stuck maybe twice when it wasn't clear what to do but I got a pretty good ending that I'm happy with. A nice, easy start to the year.

Chiktabba

Mar 31, 2022
Didn't manage to beat more than ~30 games last year, let's see how 2024 goes.

Progress: 3/52

Currently playing: Against the Storm, Paranormasight

Completed

01-cos.png
02-pseudoregalia.png
2024_03-islets.png

Last edited:

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
🆁 🅴 🆂 🅴 🆁 🆅 🅴 🅳

But not feeling confident this year.

And if I don't get a job, I don't know what will become of me.

2020 Beat
2021 Nope
2022 Beat
2023 Beat

Last edited:

ictoa

Apr 16, 2022
Reserving post.

2022: 53 - Backloggd
2023: 45 - Backloggd / Post

Only managed to do 45 games last year, might try and attempt the Trails games this year so probably unlikely to hit 52 but we'll see.

Game #NamePlatformMonth CompletedRating
1Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Complete EditionPCJanuary3/5
2Shantae and the Seven SirensPCJanuary3/5
3Yomawari: Midnight ShadowsPCJanuary3.5/5
4Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginPCFeburary3.5/5
5Eiyuden Chronicle: RisingPCFeburary3/5
6Gears 5PCFeburary2/5
7ItorahPCFeburary2/5
8DishonoredPCFeburary3.5/5
9Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2PCFeburary3/5
10Scarlet NexusPCFeburary3.5/5
11Blue Reflection: Second LightPCFeburary3.5/5
12Tales of Vesperia: Definitive EditionPCMarch3.5/5
13🚫PCApril1.5/5
14The Callisto ProtocolPCApril3/5

Last edited:

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
2019 - 52 games completed
2020 - 52 games completed
2021 - 36 games completed
2022 - 12 games completed

2024 - 17/52
1. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, PS5, 8th January, 27h 30m
2. Cookie Cutter, PS5, 15th January, 18h
3. RoboCop: Rogue City, PS5, 24th January, 21h
4. Who's Lila?, Steam, 24th January, 17.6h
5. The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales, PS5, 8th February, 8h
6. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, PS5, 8th March, 103h 57m
7. Ultros, PS5, 15th March, 36h 35m
8. Unicorn Overlord, PS5, 3rd April, 79h 15m
9. Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights, PS5, 6th April, 23h 10m
10. Live A Live, PS5, 16th April, 41h 41m
11. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, NS, 19th April, 16h 15m
12. Raging Loop, NS, 2nd May, 35h
13. Wanted: Dead, PS5, 3rd May, 22h
14. Snatcher, Sega CD Emulator, 9th May, 10h
15. Animal Well, PS5, 16th May, 24h
16. CHAOS;HEAD NOAH, NS, 8th June, 45h 22m
17. Felvidek, Steam, 9th June, 7.4h

Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I hope its ok that I am reserving this post knowing that I am 99.9% sure I will not beat 52 games, but last year was the worst year that I can remember in terms of completing games (actually, even playing single player games) and I think this post might be fun and help me feel accountable to get back into it and who knows, maybe I can surprise myself!

NOW PLAYING:
Hogwarts Legacy (I told myself I had to finish it before the 1-year release anniversary).

Last edited:

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
1. Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition XSX
2. Tunic XSX
3. God of War Ragnarok Valhalla DLC PS5
4. Final Fantasy XVI Echoes of the Fallen DLC PS5
5. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line PS5
6. Dirge of Cerberus Final Fantasy VII PS2
7. Silent Hill The Short Message PS5

Last edited:

SquareFenix

Oct 25, 2017
Reserved!

Progress: 2/52

Currently playing: Super Mario RPG

Beat: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Jan 2nd)
Beat: Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (Jan 6th)

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
2. River City Rampage (Evercade) - I'll be honest, the end for this one sorta crept up on me lol. I wasnt planning on getting through it in only a day, but here we are!
The Kunio series (RCR in the States, Street Gangs here in the UK for some moronic reason) is a long standing 2D brawler series that has you exploring Japanese towns, beating dudes up, leveling up your stats, and generally getting up to no good. If you think about it, the series actually shares a fair number of traits that Yakuza would later use, so Ive sorta felt that these were the 2D "prototypes" to that series.

RCR is sorta the first full game in the series, though Renegage (aka Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun) was actually before it, that game focused only on linear screen spaced brawling, this is a full fledged side scrolling brawler that takes place in a Japanese town that is interconnected - so you can explore at your whim. Certain parts will only open up when you beat certain bosses, so quite often you'll be going back and forth defeating various gangs, fighting bosses, then heading to new areas. Each new area tends to have a mall/shopping street where you can buy gear, new moves, or health items. All of these tend to boost your various stats so the first goal to the game isnt to save your girlfriend, its to unlock a number of moves and power up enough that you can survive later encounters! As while you can get pretty strong in this game, likewise the AI can be ruthless and stunlock you! If you get KO'ed, its back to the last shopping street you were at, you lose half your money, and so you try again! The money punishment isnt too bad, getting money back is a fairly quick affair, enemies tend to take just one quick combo to KO, so even getting the shoes or secret items to heavily boost stats will only take around 20 minutes or so.
Once I was powered up, I just made a beeline to the highschool and basically trounced the opposition. When you get the rapid fire weapon attack you become insanely OP.

Honestly my only complaints with this game is its fairly short/straight forward progression and how bosses all basically act the same. Some later ones get weave attacks that let them evade more, but arent all that dangerous to be honest. Really as long as you avoid a stunlock combo you should be fine! But I can forgive its relatively bare bones design, its the first game in the series after all, it improves quite a bit from here. This one is still a classic, still has toe tapping music, and still has a nice fast pace and smooth gameplay that makes it hard to put down. Id probably say its up there as the best brawler on the console.

Original Post:
www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2024. [BacklogBeat]

Reserving post. May Yakuza 8 not harm my ability to finish too many games lol. 1. The King's Bird (PS4) 2. River City Rampage (Evercade) 3. Double Dragon 2 (Evercade) 4. Treasure Island Dizzy (Evercade) 5. Wonderland Dizzy (Evercade) 6. Mystery World Dizzy (Evercade) 7. Dizzy the Adventurer...

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Here we go again! Aiming to beat the challenge for the third time in a row. I finished with 63 last year.

PAST CHALLENGES
23 in 2021
32 in 2020
54 in 2022
63 in 2023

My challenge every year is deciding what game to play. I want to start reducing my backlog and get around to some of the classics so I'm going to build up my backlog here and try to pick only from these this year. I'll also add the known 2024 games I'm planning to pick up:

1 - Resident Evil Village VR (started but never finished)
2 - Resident Evil 4 VR
3 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (started but never finished)
4 - Like a Dragon Gaiden
5 - Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth
6 - Tekken 8
7 - Street Fighter 6 (started but never finished)
8 - FF7: Remake (started but never finished)
9 - FF7: Rebirth
10 - Suicide Squad
11 - PoP: The Lost Crown
12 - Pacific Drive
13 - MegaMan Battle Network
14 - Super Mario Bros Wonder
15 - Thirsty Suitors
16 - Talos Principle II
17 - Bomb Rush Cyberfunk (started but never finished)
18 - MH: rise
19 - Coffee Talk
20 - Endless Dungeon
21 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (started but never finished)
22 - Future Wars
23 - Cruise for a corpse (started but never finished)
24 - Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (started but never finished)
25 - They Are Billions
26 - AC: Mirage
27 - Teardown (started but never finished)
28 - Lies of P
29 - Pixel Ripped 1978
30 - Red Matter 2 (started but never finished)
31 - The Invincible
32 - P5 Royal
33 - The Room VR
34 - Baldur's Gate 3 (started but never finished)
35 - Sea of stars
36 - Saints Row (started but never finished)
37 - Read Dead Redemption 2 (started but never finished)
38 - COD: Cold War (started but never finished)
39 - Bulletstorm VR
40 - Sushi Ben VR
41 - Wanderer VR
42 - Not for broadcast VR
43 - Pavlov VR
44 - Humanity
45: WD: S&S2 VR (started but never finished)
46: The Crew Motorfest
47: One Atelier game
48: What The Bat VR
49: Lake (started but never finished)
50: Dead Space
51: Me and the professor on summer vacation (started but never finished)
52: 13 Sentinels (started but never finished)

1 - Remnant 2: The Awakened King - PS5 - 12hrs - 05/01/24 - 10/10
I completed the Remnant 2 DLC before completing the main campaign (that I'm still going though now). It's a really meaty DLC with some nice storytelling, cool new enemies and plenty of great loot.
Currently playing Remnant 2.

2 - Remnant 2 - PS5 - 70hrs - 09/01/24 - 10/10
This game was an incredible surprise. It had good word of mouth but wasn't that hyped so I didn't expect it to be amazing and I was so wrong. It's quickly become one of my favourite souls-likes. The gunplay is very satisfying, the graphics and variety of biomes is amazing, the replayability with all the different random storylines you can get in different playthroughs and the amount of secrets therein means I will be going back into this world again and again.

3 - Tinykin - PS5 - 10hrs - 18/01/24 - 9/10
Fun 3D platfomer with a Pikmin 4 spin to it. You play as a shrunk down alien on earth going from room to room in a house completing quests for talking insects. You have multiple types of Tinykins to help you. These creatures that follow you around can do everything from lifting heavy objects for you to blowing up obstacles and creating bridges. Traversing the world is really fun as you have quite a few tools at your disposal to get around. The levels are not too long and there's no real challenge here but it's very fun to play.

4 - Chants of Saanar - PS5 - 10hrs - 27/02/24 - 10/10
Beautiful game with a unique central mechanic translating languages. It takes its cue from Obra Dinn by giving 4 words to correctly identify in one go to validate them and move on, very smart.

5 - Balatro - PS5 - 60hrs - 13/04/24 - 10/10
Man, I was on a good streak and was about to finish Like A Dragon then Helldivers 2 hit which distracted me for a little bit but then Balatro came out out of nowhere and has been consuming all my game time ever since. I cannot express how much I love this game. It scratches a precise itch like no other game out there. Even now I've "completed it", I still find myself playing more runs instead of going back to finishing alas or even starting Dragons Dogma 2.
It's not often a game comes along that just invents a brand new genre but Balatro is such a game. Calling it a "poker roguelite" doesn't do justice to how fun the game is and how addictive a good run is. I don't watch people play games usually but I've been watching all the Balatro Univiersity runs and other streamers religiously. Amazing game and will for sure be my number 1 come game of the year.

6 - Cyube VR - PSVR2 - 4hrs - 20/04/24 - 6/10
I really loved Cyube VR when I first started: it looks gorgeous and the gameplay is VR AF but there was so little to do that once I'd unlocked all the recipes and built everything there was to build, there wasn't really enough to warrant spending time in this world. I hope it gets updated to add more missions and even some enemies so that there's a reason to build things.

7 - Animal Well - PS5 - 14hrs - 19/05/24 - 10/10
This unassuming game has so many secrets and so many genius moments that made me shout wow real loud while playing. I finished the main thread but I'm still going through finding all the items and getting the full map. It's just fun.

8 - Pick & Poke - Web - 1hr - 25/05/24 - 8/10
Fun little free game where you use tokens to drive a story. The art style and mood reminded of Inscrypted. It's very short but has 4 characters to play as with different traits and plenty of replayability. https://twotinydice.itch.io/pick-and-poke

9 - Sea of Thieves - PS5 - 20hrs - 10/10

10 - XDefiant - PS5 - 30 hrs - 8/10

11 - The Case of The Golden Idol - Netflix gaming on iPad - 4 hrs - 10/10

12 - Into The Breach - Netflix gaming on iPad - 10 hrs - 15/06/24 - 10/10

Last edited:

elbkhm

May 6, 2021
Reserved - planning to finish 52 NES games this year, starting with Super Mario Bros

NES Game #1 - Super Mario Bros.
4039218-super-mario-bros-nes-front-cover.jpg

Original Release: Famicom Sept. 1985
Finished: 2024-01-02
Finished the whole game, no warps, no continues. Score of 594350.
Game is still pretty fun to play, even if the later worlds get to be pretty hard. Pretty pleased with my world 8 run... got the mushroom in 8-2, then a fire flower in 8-3 (which makes all those hammer bros a joke), and kept it right up until I fought Bowser at the end of 8-4

NES Game #2 - Dragon Warrior
60026-dragon-warrior-nes-front-cover.jpg

Original Release: Famicom May 1986
Finished: 2024-02-24
There's a lot to like about this game... the music, the charming enemy sprites, the freedom to explore the world as you choose. THE landmark JRPG, it's easy to look at and see where it drew its inspiration from Ultima and other Western computer RPGs. The NES version is somewhat marred by the stingy amount of experience and gold provided, requiring long bouts of grinding in order to progress, but still, I had fun with it. I've never finished the NES version before, despite having played it several times growing up. I'm excited to play Dragon Warrior II, from what I recall, it does a lot of work to bring the series forward, transforming it into something much more like the later entries.

NES Game #3 - Hudson's Adventure Island
5691880-adventure-island-nes-front-cover.png

Original Release: Famicom Sept. 12 1986
Finished: 2024-04-09
Finished the game, but continued a lot (A LOT).
Appears to be a cute little platformer, but the charming art style hides a brutally difficult game. Later levels are fiendishly difficult, with enemies placed in just such a way to cause you the maximum grief. Reminds me a lot of Ninja Gaiden actually, especially the way you need to balance the need to move forward quickly sometimes, and at others, move carefully and deliberately. Fun game, but be prepared for a challenge.

Last edited:

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Next Post >>

Against_the_Storm_Poster_600x900_new_optmized.webp

1. Against the Storm | Jan 02, 2024

A "roguelike citybuilder," Against the Storm has you fair against unending torrential rain for the purpose of expanding your settlement and the empire of your queen. She demands that you eke out territory against the coming storm.

In every run, you build multiple settlements. Each settlement requires you build up points. Each point you gather negates one of the queen's "impatience" points. If the queen builds up too many impatience points before you can build up your settlement points, you lose the settlement. Lose too many settlements, and you can't complete the run.

Gameplay loop is pretty addictive and there's some cool flavor text on the worldbuilding. You're not in each settlement for very long, but that means the resource gathering and optimization doesn't wear out it's welcome. I'd give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5 stars.

Monsters_6s.gif

Last edited:

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I'm in! Tried in 2019 but life happened. I've got a huge backlog now and looks like a tiny bit more time on my hands, so it's at least worth a shot.

COMPLETED

JANUARY
1. Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
PS5 / 100% 2.1.2024 / platinum 7. 1. 2024 / 26h
Backlog stat: none, played asap
6BUPLXY.jpg

While it did feel a bit underbaked compared to HW1, I did have great fun with it. Some new features were fantastic (especially jump, which ads a bit more platforming influence to the mix) and some underwhelming (skills pretty much there for their own sake). There should definitely be some tweaking done to how drift mode is scored. Tracks also felt a bit less interesting than in the previous game. The driving model is still fantastic, which I find to be by far the most important asset, so as a whole the game is definitely worth the time of any arcade racing aficionado.

2. It Takes Two
PS5 / 2.1.2024 / 16h
Backlog stat: in library since 23. 7. 2021
BCCAXyt.jpg

I was caught completely off-guard by the endless creativity, impressive art direction and overall top notch game design with this one. I am also completely baffled by how a single title manages to combine so many near perfect elements with such poor storytelling, dialogue and cutscene character animation. This could have been one for the ages, if the narrative part wouldn't drag down the experience so much. Still, an impressive game.

3. Crash Bandicoot 4
PS5 / 6. 1. 2024 / 10h
Backlog stat: in library since 7. 7. 2022
8U9nJBG.jpg

Well, I appreciated the way it made me feel nostalgic for times long past, but really hated it for not really improving in the slightest on the decades old formula. Outdated, but with a facelift.

4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Switch / 7. 1. 2024 / 15h
jbqfozn.jpg

I have a love-hate relationship with this one. I was apprehensive in trying it as I found the art style completely unappealing. Still, after high praise from friends I gave it a shot and yet it didn't really click with me. "All over the place" would be the way to describe it. I did appreciate the sheer magnitude of ideas, most of which are very strong, but still felt the entire thing lacked cohesion. I might go for 100% just for the challenge as it's one of my favourite genres, but it definitely isn't anywhere near my favourites in the genre.

5. Perfect Vermin
Steam Deck / 9. 1. 2024 / 35 min
DBAIZjZ.jpg

Played this after a recommendation somewhere in this thread and it was an incredible, compact little experience. Definitely makes you feel more than its price (free) and its length (maybe half an hour) would lead you to expect.

6. Viewfinder
PC / 10. 1. 2024 / 5h 30m
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 25. 4. 2023
evAwUu3.jpg

I was really looking forward to this one, because I'm a sucker for 1st person puzzlers with innovative mechanics. I find viewfinder to be a fantastic proof of concept, but not really fleshed out enough to be a standout game. There's lots of cool mechanics to play around with, but puzzles involving them are just to simplistic. The narrative is interesting enough, though feels more like a backdrop, which I don't really mind for this type of game.

7. Inertial Drift
NS / 14. 1. 2024 / 2h
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 21. 6. 2021
9M1xJrJ.jpg

Just finished the story mode, which honestly feels more like a tutorial or introduction to the arcade part, but it did give a "the end" screen, so I'll count it :). I'm sure I'll play more of it, even though the mechanic didn't really click with me, but the style is great. Handheld wasn't a great experience though, the screen is really too small to make out the necessary details to react in time, so I definitely need to try it docked.

8. Rayman Legends
PS5 / 18. 1. 2024 / 16h
Backlog stat: in library since 4. 5. 2018
bkaccHK.jpg

I've been playing this sporadically for years across different platforms, either alone, with friends, gf, her niblings, but always treated it as something to just randomly pick up and play for a level or two. After Mario Wonder I stumbled back upon it and realized how much more it clicks with me. It just pushes the right buttons I guess. An absolute gem, fantastic level design, great controls, tons of creativity (it doesn't try as many different things as Wonder, but it does play with the formula a lot) and a borderline genius implementation of music and sound. What a beautiful, amazing game. And it gets surprisingly hard near the end as well.

9. Control
PS5 / 20. 1. 2024 / 18h
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 31. 3. 2020
wIx8h21.jpg

Bought this at release, but put it off until now for some reason. Strange really, as it's exactly the type of thing I'm into. Setting and design were fantastic, animations, dialogue and delivery were underwhelming. Combat was fun, bust some of the side mission bosses were somewhat tedious. I ended up just skipping the DLC content to see how the story wraps up, but can see myself jumping back into it to tie up some loose ends down the line.

10. What Remains of Edith Finch
PS4 / 100% 22. 01. 2024 / 2h
Backlog stat: in library since: 29. 5. 2019
6q8EjXW.jpg

Another title I've had in my backlog since forever. I've always heard high praise and had high expectations, but was still blown away by the sheer creativity. A true hall-of-famer.

11. Moss
PS4 / 27. 1. 2024 / 4h
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 31. 1. 2019
xY4UnC0.jpg

This is what VR was made for. Heartfelt, cute and beautiful. Too bad it just kind of ends, gives it a bit of a tech-demo feel. I definitely need to check out Book 2, but not on PSVR1, that thing does show its age a bit too much.

12. Pizza Tower
Steam Deck / 28. 1. 2024 / 7h30m
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 6. 5. 2023
WJFWqnn.jpeg

Man, what a game. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I picked this up as something fun to play in short bursts, but it was such an intense an overwhelming experience. The timed escapes were super stressful, boss fights harder than I expected, but the fantastic animations kept me hooked.

13. Chants of Sennaar
Steam Deck / 100% 31. 1. 2024 / 11h
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 29. 8. 2023
SCqHW3O.jpeg

Loved the presentation, was not completely in love with the execution. I felt it took a bit too long to get going, the sheer nature of the idea made the progress feel a bit in vain (starting (almost) from scratch each time), and the first "ending" felt a bit out of place. When it did click, it did so fantastically.

FEBRUARY
14. Tekken 8
PS5 / 1. 2. 2024 / 3h
80ZB8ku.jpeg

Figured I should start with story mode and it's as bonkers as ever. I have to say it's my favorite way of tackling the story so far, it actually does feel like I'm a part of a narrative, even though the narrative is straight out of a fever dream. The final fight could very well be an episode of Dragon Ball and it is fantastic. It plays as good as always with just enough visual and technical upgrades to warrant a higher number. It'll likely stay in rotation for a long time.

15. Thomas Was Alone
NS / 9. 2. 2024 / 3h 20m
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 24. 2. 2018
dRlclKn.jpeg

I enjoyed the idea, but the execution left me wanting more. The puzzles just weren't exploring the possibilities enough, the narrative just wasn't up there with the genre's greats. It felt a tiny bit emptier than I expected.

16. Shovel Knight
PS5 / 9. 2. 2024 / 7h 40m
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 11. 7. 2019
hniMS8a.jpeg

It was hard for me to enjoy this at first. The game is very honest in its inspirations and ambitions, but those aren't what I was ever really familiar with. It's a nostalgia blast, but someone else's nostalgia, not mine. So some of the quirks that are this genre's staples were very new to me and I resented the game for them. I just couldn't forgive it for how platforming was the real boss fight, not the bosses. But as time went on it grew on me. I still think I'd like and enjoy it more if I wasn't so new to how it plays, but I liked it well enough.

17. You Have to Win the Game
Steam Deck / 14. 2. 2024 / 1h 45m
Backlog stat: in library since 12. 12. 2018
Sj4XDU2.jpeg

Made it to the lose ending and had fun for the night, but I don't think I'll return to get more out of it. I do think it's excellent for what it is.

18. Hoa
Steam Deck / 23. 2. 2024 / 2h
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 24. 8. 2021
S4uhSC0.jpeg

While the visuals are fantastic, the rest suffers a quite bit. Extremely basic platforming and puzzling, barebones animations, and while I really liked the music, it was very poorly implemented, with near-inexistent dynamic arrangement, even hard cuts on some transitions. It is a $15 game that feels and plays like a $3 game. I don't necessarily regret playing it, but I wouldn't recommend it either.

19. Avicii Invector
PS5 / 24. 2. 2024 / 2h
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 30. 4. 2020
1JMXUpk.jpeg

I bought this on a big discount and still under the influence of the Thumper brilliance, but never got around to it. It is exactly what you'd expect, a solid rhythm game with neat visuals, but one that doesn't add much, or anything, to the genre. It wholly depends and relies on the song selection, and since I never really cared for Avicci's output, this game probably hit even less because of this. Apart from 2-3 tracks, the rest was definitely in the "cannot wait till it's over" category for me. But for someone that's a fan, I can see this being well worth checking out.

20. RiME
PS5 / 27. 2. 2024 / 6h
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 27. 5. 2019
gsU2x7N.jpeg

What a surprise. I held off on playing it as I've heard many negative opinions on it from friends I can really relate my tastes to, but for my money, they were dead wrong. Beautiful world, great animations, fantastic music, heartfelt underlying narrative and just the right length. Sure, the platforming is very basic, so are the puzzles, but I don't feel these were as detrimental as some make it out to be. I was completely engaged, enamored, and, by the end, quite emotional. It doesn't stand neck to neck with the greats of the genre, but it isn't far off either.

MARCH
21. Tomb Raider (Remastered)
Steam Deck / 1. 3. 2024 / 13h
Backlog stat: on my mind since 1997
ORKRvvZ.jpeg

This is a big one for me. Tomb Raider was the first game that I can point to as the one that lit the spark. I was enamored. I don't think we ever had the full game, probably just a demo, the first few levels at most. But I spent hours in it. I was still a kid, just barely started elementary school. I talked about TR to all the school mates, showed them the moves, jumped up and down stairs mimicking the action I saw in this one incredible game. But that was it, we never got the full game, and even if we had, I wouldn't have the skills to play it. Then came TR2, but the PC at home was to underpowered to run it. I saw snaps of the first level, but it always crashed. A year later dad showed me the demo for TR3, again I could only play the first level, but I played the hell out of it. That was the game that made me go "I need this in my life". Since the parents never really considered investing in a better PC so their kid could spend days in front of a monitor, I started saving up for the PS1, because it was the least expensive way to being able to play TR3. A year later it finally happened. But I digress.

TR is my absolute favorite series, but I never completed any of the first five games. I did play and finish everything that came after though. I really liked some of it, but nothing came close to replicating the awe I felt in the brief moments I had with the first few installments. I always wanted to experience them again (or some for the first time), but could really find a good excuse for it. I tried a few times, but never stuck with it. So this release was the perfect nudge.

Playing TR1 for what was probably the first time since 96 or 97 was a blast. The nostalgia was strong, the animations brought back memories, the sounds brought emotions, it was a really special thing. As the game went on though, the feelings waned, but what was left was still very good. There were moments where I felt complete respect and admiration, even more so considering the context of the game's development. There were also moments where I felt it dragged on for way too long. While many levels are impressive, some feel barely more than just padding. Overall, the experience was well worth taking. I opted for the old visuals, mostly because a) they gave me the feels and b) the environments looked better. The colors are so much more interesting and memorable. I did switch occasionally only to "see how they made it look now". And I opted to exclusively use the old controls, because it was one of my favorite features of the old games. I switched to the new ones for a brief moment and wow, was it oh so bad. Some aspects of the game were downright silly (I would feel zero loss if all human enemies disappeared from it), but the fundamentals are very strong. For what it was (and when it was), a superb little thing.

22. Umurangi Generation
Steam Deck / 3. 3. 2024 / 2h 20m
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 8. 6. 2021
xyQjcXu.jpeg

It wasn't what I expected, even though I knew not to expect it to be what it looks like at first glance. I liked the setting more than I expected, but it was less of what I expected to see. The controls were maybe faster and smoother that I thought they would be for this genre, but the jankiness broke the immersion more than the motion. I appreciated the social commentary, but felt it was too on the nose. I expected subtle environmental storytelling, but the subtleness was actually in the character-relationship bits, the "background" story was way up in my face. I figured the concepts would be broad and generic, but I thought they were both less broad, and still not fleshed out enough. I didn't expect the soundtrack to be pretty much the strongest character. The game definitely resonated and stayed with me, it presents some incredible thoughts and ideas, but I felt it was too much just a stroll through those ideas with the main mechanic more as an excuse, rather than interweaving the mechanic with the actual narrative in a subtler, more cohesive way. Granted, I might come off more critical than intended simply because the game does reach higher than most in those regards, which in turn makes me analyze its accomplishments and shortcomings more thoroughly.

23. Cocoon
Steam Deck / 11. 3. 2024 / 6h
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 12. 6. 2022
DKBRHw3.jpeg

This is everything I love in games. Fantastic visuals and sound, puzzle-heavy, combat-light and just the right length. I was hooked from start to finish. It is fresh, polished and beautiful. No exposition, no tutorial, simple mechanics, but complex use of them. It is quite a bit more linear that its presentation would lead one to expect, but its focus on experience rather than repetition prevents this lack of exploration to present itself as a weakness. It makes you believe that you just happened to instinctively guess the right path forward rather than feeling limited by your options. Fantastic game design by a team that seems to make no wrong moves. Other than not releasing this gem on physical, of course.

24. Ico
Steam Deck / 14. 3. 2024 / 6h 40m
Backlog stat: none really, but been thinking about it since playing Last Guardian in 2016
NcJBpwD.jpeg

Well this was a chore. Let me preface this by saying that The Last Guardian was my first Ueda game and ended up being my game of the generation. It stands far above what any game previously managed to achieve for me, emotionally. Naturally I wanted to try Ueda's earlier work, starting with SoTC when the remaster was released, but never picking up Ico until now. While his signature is all over the final product, I think this game was released just a bit before its time. The main unique mechanic was again fantastic, but the game that's built around it is just too barebones, unpolished and aged very poorly. Puzzles are, apart from a select few, completely predictable, repetitive and grindy. The game loop shares the same features unfortunately. Puzzle bit - shadows - puzzle bit - shadows, on a neverending cycle. All mystery and tension is lost, because the player knows exactly what bit will happen next. An oh boy is the gameplay broken. Not in the quirky TLG "it's an creature, try to understand it" way, but in a "was this playtested?" way. A single jump in a certain puzzle took me a good 15 minutes. I knew exactly what to do, just couldn't pull it off. And I beat all celeste C-sides, so it probably wasn't due to my aging motor skills. Overall an innovative and ambitious project, but not one I would encourage anyone to try in 2024.

25. 20 Small Mazes
Steam Deck / 17. 3. 2024 / 2h
n1290Ll.jpeg

Exactly what it says on the tin. :) Some were simple, some were weird, some were fun, some were annoying. Great way to pass an hour or two.

26. 140
Steam Deck / 17. 3. 2024 / 1h 25m
3v1yUdP.jpeg

After beating Cocoon I wanted to check out anything I might have missed from this team, and 140 was up first. Very simple, but very well made. A bit shorter than I'd have liked, but a very fun (and by the end quite challenging) little gem.

27. Evan's Remains
Steam Deck / 18. 3. 2024 / 3h
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 9. 8. 2019
2NUNSmj.jpeg

Weirdly effective. It stayed with me more than I would have thought. It's a puzzle/adventure/visual novel hybrid, with fantastic visuals, very basic puzzling and a narrative that feels too gen-z at points, but kind of works well. It takes unexpected turns and gets darker than I ever expected.

28. Planet of Lana
Steam Deck / 26. 3. 2024 / 3h 40m
Backlog stat: on wishlist since 10. 6. 2021
hau7zie.jpeg

This one nearly ended up on the "abandoned" pile. Let's get the good out of the way first: Background art has a really neat ghibli-like quality to it. Well, that's about it I guess. :) I found pretty much everything, from character design, animations, gameplay mechanics, to narrative and music, very uninspired. Barebones puzzling that makes zero effort to play with the mechanics, there wasn't a single case where the solution was an interesting mix of what you've previously learned. The emotional bits felt forced and completely derivative. Character motivations not even remotely fleshed out or given any importance, really. There wasn't a single thing that impressed me and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Funnily enough, it was exactly what I was told Rime was gonna be. Compared to Rime, this has 33% less dimensions and 80% less heart.

APRIL
29. OlliOlli World
Steam Deck / 3. 4. 2024 / 4h 45m
Backlog stat: in library since 3. 1. 2023
nNfdHYU.jpg

30. Sheepy: A Short Adventure
Steam Deck / 9. 4. 2024 / 1h 30m
Backlog stat: none really, played as soon as I managed to get it running on the deck.
vmNcoUt.jpeg

MAY

31. Need For Speed Unbound
PS5 / 4. 5. 2024 / 18h
Backlog stat: on the shelf since 29. 6. 2023
m9sKD1i.jpeg

IN PROGRESS

Cuphead - 55% - not the kind of game I can play in long stretches, so it'll take a while
Death Stranding - 10% - on the verge of being bumped to the abandoned pile. There just isn't anything pulling me back in.
Horizon Forbidden West - 65%
Nier: Automata
Ibb and Obb
Lake
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

HOPING TO CLEAR FROM THE EVER EXPANDING BACKLOG

A Plague Tale Innocence
Back to the Future the Game
Detroit: Become Human
Doom Eternal
Endling: Extinction is Forever
Firewatch
Hyper Light Drifter
The Pathless
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
Rain World
River City Girls
River City Girls 2
Shantae and the Seven Sirens
Signalis
Sky
Slay The Princess
Spiritfarer
Star Wars Squadrons
Toodee and Topdee
Trover Saves the Universe
Turbo Overkill
Videoverse
Yoku's Island Express
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Zone of the Enders

ABANDONED

Trail Out - runs disgustingly bad on steam deck :/
Burnout Revenge - might pick back up another time, but why play 4 when you've got 3
Redout II - It's just too big. I'm still gonna play it, but I don't think I'll ever focus on completing it.

Last edited:

VahineCacao