• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
If MK9 was in development and Nintendo decided to can it because of MK8 sales, I'd be pissed. That's no reason to cancel development, let the team finish it. And, no, they're not going to sit on a finished game for three years, because that would mean that they wouldn't have anything for this generation.

I'm not talking about cancelling, but rather putting it to the side so they explore additional ideas for other IPs or even potential improvements.

In any case, it's a weird situation since we're used to the MK team working on two simultaneous platforms, so a game each 3 years was always a given due to each platform requiring its own MK.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems pretty Salmon Run focused, in salmon run you are harvesting their eggs and it's like a cry for help, the lifesaver thing in the water is from salmon run, it's salmons holding the 2020 with salmon eggs in it.
Like there's so many references to that mode it has to be something to do with it or salmonids.
I played Salmon Run a lot. It's a great mode. I wonder if there is a spin-off it's about Grizzco and exploring the lore of that? I don't recall the story behind them.

Maybe Splatoon spin-off is a possible RPG that fits with what Emily is saying?

Don't get me hyped!

It's definitely not ARMS, that's for certain. Nintendo seems to have zero interest in continuing it.

Not too surprising. I think the Mario Kart team is bringing back and old IP like F-Zero or Diddy Kong Racing

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See you at 9AM EST, bitches!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don't know shit.
jokes on you I have class at that time! I'll miss any announcement regardless!

e98.jpg

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm not talking about cancelling, but rather putting it to the side so they explore additional ideas for other IPs or even potential improvements.

In any case, it's a weird situation since we're used to the MK team working on two simultaneous platforms, so a game each 3 years was always a given due to each platform requiring its own MK.

I still don't like that idea, tbh. Game development is troubled enough.

God, it must sound like I'm an entitled fanboy who only wants Mario Kart lol. I could honestly care less, I want to see a new multiplayer IP from that division. Or F-Zero/Diddy Kong Racing, I don't really care. As long as it's not NintenDOGS or something of that nature, then I'd be mad. But Mario Kart seems like the logical option here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone just expecting a Splatoon spinoff because a sequel would be a little redundant right now, or is there an actual credible rumor? It seems odd that this thread has zeroed in on that IP specifically unless I missed something.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is everyone just expecting a Splatoon spinoff because a sequel would be a little redundant right now, or is there an actual credible rumor? It seems odd that this thread has zeroed in on that IP specifically unless I missed something.
I think a lot of us are expecting a spin-off of some sort.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September January ends

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no rumor. It's a huge IP and spinoffs have to come at some point. It's nearing Mario and Zelda tier. Also, the producer said they haven't even begun development on Splatoon 3 as of July 2019. Splatoon came off as a "one per generation" game.

Then they put this out for the new year which could possibly hint at something Splatoon related coming.

splatoon-sos-800x400.jpg

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
There's no rumor. It's a huge IP and spinoffs have to come at some point. It's nearing Mario and Zelda tier. Also, the producer said they haven't even begun development on Splatoon 3 as of July 2019. Splatoon came off as a "one per generation" game.
Aight, so people just think the Splatoon IP is due for something and know we're not getting 3 yet.

I don't see a reason to expect anything purely because I don't see anyone who would make it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If there is a Splatoon spinoff I don't see it deviating greatly from the gameplay of Splatoon 2. Maybe it is fully single-player or has an interesting new mode but it will still be based on the core Splatoon mechanics. I don't expect Splatoon XCOM or anything like that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there is a Splatoon spinoff I don't see it deviating greatly from the gameplay of Splatoon 2. Maybe it is fully single-player or has an interesting new mode but it will still be based on the core Splatoon mechanics. I don't expect Splatoon XCOM or anything like that.
It's really hard to say what they would do tbh in terms of genre and gameplay. It could almost be anything. I do agree the core mechanics are great and maybe they'd still use it, but spinoffs can be anything in the end. We go from 2D platformer Mario to Super Mario RPG so you never know

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
My guess is that they are making a Left 4 Dead type game using the Salmon Run idea (4 players fighting waves of enemies) featuring story-driven levels in a 'story mode', plus obviously the normal stage-based Salmon Run.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to say what they would do tbh in terms of genre and gameplay. It could almost be anything. I do agree the core mechanics are great and maybe they'd still use it, but spinoffs can be anything in the end. We go from 2D platformer Mario to Super Mario RPG so you never know

I'm certain I've read that Nintendo prototypes plenty of ideas without a franchise in mind, and if they like an idea and think that it would mesh well with an existing IP, then it starts to take a different shape. Splatoon wasn't always squid kids, it evolved into that, and at some point I bet they tried to throw Mario in there.

Anyway, Splatoon is now big enough in Japan that I could see them doing a spin-off at some point down the line that branches away from the current shooter mechanics.

But the Splatoon team is the Animal Crossing team, no? Which has clearly had its hands full lately.

I thought they were different teams with the same producer.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I'm looking forward to the inevitable Animal Crossing direct. Has to be in the next couple of weeks, right? No other possibilities exist in any universe. Assuming there is both an Animal Crossing direct and a general direct, Animal Crossing would come first for sure, and since the general direct has to be in the first half of February... that leaves no other possibilities. Animal Crossing direct within two weeks. Unless this is all wrong then something else could happen.

Apr 21, 2018
Your argument is flawed here too. ARMS didn't sell especially great, it's userbase dropped off a cliff, and most people forgot about it. A game as important as ARMS was should have to prove itself, it didn't. Thus, no sequel plans. And it's not like Nintendo is only focusing on Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. ARMS was a thing for a reason. It didn't work.

Y'all are forgetting that ARMS was made by arguably Nintendo's most profitable developer. They want that division to have constant sellers, and ARMS isn't that.

ARMs will be back, one day.

Luigi's Mansion on GameCube didn't sell too well, and the sequels have been massive successes. It just took 12 years to let the game seep into the collective nostalgia.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's a really tough call, but...I would personally say the first six months of 2020 are slightly better than the first half of 2019.

If you're into Animal Crossing and RPGs, then the first half of the year is really enjoyable.
I hope it's not just Xenoblade DE, Cold Steel 3 and Bravely.
Wonder what else is there if there's more, or am I forgetting some...

Oct 26, 2017
Another Mario Kart on the Nintendo Switch feels so unnecessary to me. I don't want one.

But please give me a Splatoon Spin-off! I'll take pretty much anything.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah...a bunch of Animal Crossing stuff is leaking out it looks like, including AC joy-cons.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I still believe in a Splatoon 3, especially if we get a Switch Pro this year.
MK8D should get at least some DLC, c'mon Nintendo.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I expect nothing this week

We'll get a dedicated Animal Crossing direct at best, and the general direct dream will elude us yet again

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
I want to believe that when I wake up tomorrow that there will be an announcement for a direct. Even if it is only about AC, that's fine. I'm eager for any news at this point. If not tomorrow, I'll concede to team February.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, didn't most of us expect Nintendo to wait until next-gen if they do another ARMS game?

No one knows. They'll do whatever game they want, generation or not.

You're right. I've always thought that the support of Nintendo Labo VR kit to Arms could be help the game.

I don't think that would help all that much. LABO also failed to catch on to the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.