Not open for further replies.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aL10E75_460s.jpg

F9ZD4nv_d.webp

fa7.jpg

Kevin you're not having a good time are you?

So 2023 has started off with a laugh and a half as the GOP is unable to even elect a Speaker of the House. Kevin has been denied 11 infinite times and yet he just can't quit the madness. If a speaker isn't elected no House business can go through so this is entertaining only to a point. The US debt will default sometime in the next few weeks so at least the GOP is consistent in trying to tank the country with them.

Kevin-McCarthy-Speaker-of-the-House-Memes-1.png

Reminders:

1) This thread isn't a venting ground for ResetEra threads you don't like.
2) This thread isn't a Twitter feed or live TV comment feed, provide context (as in tweet text or a video link/some attempt at transcription, respectively) for what you post.
3) Try not to let optimism or pessimism about an upcoming election get to you too much.
4) Ignore these reminders at your own peril.

How we got here:

US PoliEra 2022 |OT 3| Dark Brandon's Revenge
US PoliEra 2022 |OT 2| (Nu)Clears the (ex)President Thank You!
US PoliEra 2022 |OT 1| Build Back Later
US PoliEra 2021 |OT 3| Rage Against The Manchin
US PoliEra 2021 |OT 2| Manchin Sinematic Universe
US PoliEra 2021 |OT 1| ResetUSA
US PoliEra 2020 |OT11| Biden our time until Jan 20th
US PoliEra 2020 |OT10| One Last 2020, for the road.
US PoliEra 2020 |OT9| Rashida Tlaib 2 : Vote This Motherfucker Out
US PoliEra 2020 |OT8| Do it for Her
US PoliEra 2020 |OT7| Good Trouble
US PoliEra 2020 |OT6| I will not be closing this thread when the second wave hits.
US PoliEra 2020 |OT5| Guidance recommends quarantining PoliERA
US PoliEra 2020 |OT4| Disaster Voltron
US PoliEra 2020 |OT3| "I think he's learned his lesson" says The Concerned Immoderate Darling Collins.
US PoliEra 2020 |OT 2| Dershowitz says "Qui Pro Quo on the Go?"
US PoliEra 2020 |OT 1| THE ANTI BENGHAZI
US PoliEra 2019 |OT11| MOTHERFUCKER IMPEACHED
US PoliEra 2019 |OT10| Go Absent Yourself
US PoliEra 2019 |OT9| I'm really glad I'm not on Twitter nearly enough to understand all the references
US PoliEra 2019 |OT8| WHITE HOUSE ADMITS TO QUID PRO QUO WITH UKRAINE
US PoliEra 2019 |OT7| It's happening
US PoliEra 2019 |OT6| Have You Hurd About These GOP Retirements?
US PoliEra 2019 |OT5| She's got a plan for that, now sashay away
US PoliEra 2019 |OT4| Folded like a DOG
US PoliEra 2019 |OT3| YOU WERE AT MY WEDDING, DENISE
US PoliEra 2019 |OT2| #President Pelosi
US PoliERA 2019 |OT1| You down wit' NDP? (Yeah you know me!) Who's down wit' AOC? (This whole party!)
US PoliERA 2018 |OT13| And now the fun starts
US PoliERA 2018 |OT12| The Moscow Project
US PoliERA 2018 |OT11| The Hunt for Blue November
US PoliERA 2018 |OT10| McConnell is "mule piss"
US PoliERA 2018 |OT9| Next week has been EXHAUSTING
US PoliERA 2018 |OT8| Democrats projected to gain F5 seats
US PoliERA 2018 |OT7| Tell Me The Bad Things That Happened Since I Fell Asleep
US PoliERA 2018 |OT6| An Unmitigated Disaster
US PoliERA 2018 |OT5| A Total Goat Rodeo
US PoliERA 2018 |OT4| Sweetheart, this is Watergate, goodbye!
US PoliERA 2018 |OT3| In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Ryan
US PoliEra 2018 |OT2| Flip, Flip, Flip-a-Gatesia
US PoliEra 2018 |OT| Welcome to the Resistance, the only funded organization in D.C.
US PoliEra 2017 |OT3| This thread was created with a one vote margin
US PoliEra 2017 |OT2| Tinkle Traitor Soldier Spy
US PoliEra 2017 |OT| At least Rand Paul had a lawn to cushion the blow

Nancy_Pelosi_Speaker-1-compressor.jpg

Hey Kevin you want this?

votes-shade.gif

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah that new thread smell. GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place. There are enough Never Kevins that no deal will placate them. And it looks like ol' Kevin has no intention of stepping aside. So what do?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The Dems definitely have more motivation on this than the R's do. Wonder what kind of hilarious screwup we'll see next. That and the NY R's gotta be antsy at this point

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
will this be the thread to see if when the U.S. default on the debt or not because of Republicans

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Ah that new thread smell. GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place. There are enough Never Kevins that no deal will placate them. And it looks like ol' Kevin has no intention of stepping aside. So what do?

Is there anyone they want that establishment Rs would accept? It's not just Kevin. They refuse to seat an establishment Republican period as far as I can see

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
New thread smell

Can't wait for Kevin to rack up another 3-4 Ls tomorrow

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll give the GOP the benefit of the doubt and say that I believe McCarthy when he says that they've been in talks with the party for months now. If that is true, then this is worse for him that we thought. If after 2 months of negotiation he still doesn't have the votes, I doubt anything he ever promises now will sway them.

Especially when the hardcore base is loving that they're sticking it to the establishment. What do Never Kevins have to lose?

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Kevin. GOP is in absolute disarray, and putting on a shitshow. I think the Dems take back control in '24.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem is Kevin McCarthy is an idiot. He doesn't have a fucking strategy to get enough no votes to flip beyond giving in to all of their demands, which he has already done and gained essentially no votes.

The calls from his side for him to step aside are gonna start happening. Still don't know who can get the votes to win, but it won't be McCarthy, I don't think their problem with him is ideology, it's personal.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The biggest problem is Kevin McCarthy is an idiot. He doesn't have a fucking strategy to get enough no votes to flip beyond giving in to all of their demands, which he has already done and gained essentially no votes.

The calls from his side for him to step aside are gonna start happening. Still don't know who can get the votes to win, but it won't be McCarthy, I don't think their problem with him is ideology, it's personal.
He's lost votes. Not gained essentially zero. He's gained negative votes.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
oC3nQWH.png

twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1611150331810816001

sd8qD1Z.png

twitter.com/mychaelschnell/status/1611174830480523264

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly did McCarthy do up to this point to set all of these deflectors off? I mean I know there have been issues but what specifically led to this point?

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
What exactly did McCarthy do up to this point to set all of these deflectors off? I mean I know there have been issues but what specifically led to this point?
Spoke out against Trump immediately after January 6th before he went crawling back to him weeks later to kiss the ring, after Biden was inaugurated. If that was it it might have blown over, but there were also audio recordings of his conversations in group meetings or on the phone of him telling people what they wanted to hear, saying he was going to tell Trump he needed to resign, it was over, etc.

Basically he showed insufficient loyalty to Trump following January 6th is the first domino. There's other dominoes, like him being regarded as someone who is weak that they can roll, because he gave into MTG's demands, which is why she is supporting him. He's also a person who has been desperate to be speaker for like a decade, essentially putting himself on the fast track to the leadership, all with the eventual goal of getting to the top job no matter what he had to do.

The guy doesn't believe in anything but power.

Edit: That his detractors didn't act until now is because they were in the minority, and nobody -seeks- the position of minority leader, as it absolutely sucks, so they were more than willing to let him have that shit job, and waited until he neared the top of the mountain to hit him.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
He's straight up incompetent for one. He should've won the speaker job in 2016 too, Paul Ryan didn't even want it. But again, incompetence cost him. If they had actually won as many seats as they were expecting and didn't have this tiny majority, he probably would be speaker. But McCarthy is known around Washington as an affable doofus, most people like him, but you don't go to him to talk policy (stole this from pod save America today).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Ever since entering Congress 16 years ago, McCarthy has believed in the power of relationships, learning the names and birthdays of his colleagues' spouses and children. The House gym and special workout regimens were his favorite haunt, learning what made members tick.
One internal enemy who McCarthy eventually won over called him "a savant of relationships," with the goal always out in the open: winning the speaker's gavel.
Yet all those years of making friends left him with the type of political support that makes a congressional leader popular but not beloved — and certainly not feared.
His support has always been a mile wide and only a few inches deep inside the Republican conference. A solid bloc of 15 to 20 hard-line conservatives never took to his back slaps or invites to go on bike rides.
They saw in him what he essentially is: a nonideological lawmaker without much policy substance who really just enjoys political campaigns and tactics.
His lurch rightward, particularly traveling to Trump's resort to make peace with him after he instigated the 2021 attack on the Capitol, did nothing to placate them. He rarely meted out punishment when they said outrageous things or attended racist events, reinforcing their belief that all he cared about was getting their votes some day for speaker.
After four years as minority leader, McCarthy promised that the November midterm elections would produce such a large majority that he wouldn't need to cater to the hard-liners.
In a classic case of overpromising and under-delivering, McCarthy only produced a majority of 222 Republicans. That left just four votes to spare on the speaker ballot that begins each Congress and on any piece of legislation that Democrats unite against.
So those archconservatives, led by Reps. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), held McCarthy and the entire House GOP hostage for weeks after the midterms. A group that basically admits their deceitfulness upfront, they issued many demands for internal rule changes in their many meetings with McCarthy and other Republicans.
Over objections from the moderate Republicans who face tough elections in swing districts, McCarthy gave in to almost all of these demands from Gaetz and friends.
And, in a spectacularly bad form of negotiating, McCarthy gave in to the hostage takers without any promise of support in return.
--------------------------------
Years of bending to conservative demands produced the same result. After his 2015 demise, with Jordan as his main antagonist, McCarthy ceded the way for his friend, Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), to become speaker.
He became minority leader after Republicans lost the majority in 2018 and Ryan retired, then set out to make peace with Jordan, a co-founder of the House Freedom Caucus. "He's standing next to me now instead of shooting at me," McCarthy bragged in a 2019 interview.
And McCarthy remained close with Trump, even during his most erratic days during the pandemic and after the Capitol riot.
Yet on Tuesday, McCarthy's opponents were Republicans most closely aligned with Jordan and Trump.

Aug 15, 2022
matt gaetz holding the entire gop by the balls is a great way to begin 2023. enjoy the asshole monsters you've created who have no interest in actually passing laws. hopefully voters are getting a real good look at them.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
He rarely meted out punishment when they said outrageous things or attended racist events, reinforcing their belief that all he cared about was getting their votes some day for speaker.

I'm not fully convinced the holdouts are this rational, but I agree with the logic presented. If he won't push back on you when you do or say something that's really out there (by all accounts), then he won't push on your ideological opponents either. So then what can he really promise you?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking out against Trump just makes for a nice pretense. The fact that the McCarthy can be rolled over by the Never Kevers is enough. Why not flaunt their defiance and boost up their public profile if they have the chance?

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
For the most hardcore this is a purity test that McCarthy simply can't pass. They view him as weak and with no concrete ideology, and they are not wrong. They don't trust him to hold strong and not back down. These people refusing to back McCarthy are crazy, but they are not wrong to not trust him.

They don't give a shit about rules, or established leadership, or the Republican party, so thinking they will back down or feel pressure was always a losing strategy. You give them EVERYTHING they want (and in this case that includes McCarthy's head), or they burn it all down while smiling and fundraising off of it. Welcome to fuck around and find out when it comes to catering to crazies Republicans, enjoy the next two years

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I haven't seen her mentioned at all, but it seems like Granholm could possibly compete for it if she wanted to. I have no idea if she would.

Jun 17, 2019
Honestly I would like to know, can they right now remove McCarthy belongings from the Speaker's office? Or can he just leave them in there indefinitely?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If McCarthy still doesn't have 218 even after this pathetic deal that's being hyped up where he basically strips all of his own power, I think the only way Gaetz and the few holdouts stand down is if Trump actually threatens them. He tried the Trump version of asking nicely last time and they ignored him. If he threatens to sic the MAGA base against them I think they finally fold.

Oct 22, 2020
She's secretary of energy
There's always a ton of Cabinet turnover after a president's first term wraps up (assuming they win a second term), so it wouldn't be unusual to see folks like Granholm and/or Buttigieg depart for elected office next year.

Might be more pressure to stick around if we lose the Senate and can't get new folks confirmed in 2025, though. (Though perhaps Joe could get a bunch jammed through during the lame duck.)

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, it's been refreshing to not see cabinet turnover during the first term.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The problem for McCarthy is there's two contingents against him. The Chip Roy group wants insane demands but do seem like they could eventually back him. But Gaetz and Boebert's group simply oppose McCarthy period and don't seem like they will ever back him.

Status
Not open for further replies.